Carbon challenged

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Carbon challenged

#16 Post by Carpdaddy »

You can lay one of those pine sented trees like you use to hang from your car mirror in the box and let them absorb the smell!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

Jes' pullin' yer leg, Jase.
I love woodies but see the practicality in carbon. The ultra-light carbons I bought for the Tamerlane have much less of a "rainbow trajectory" than woodies and fly much faster as well. But the biggest bennie is that on the indoor range they don't get totally destroyed if they pass through a target butt and impact the blanketed wall backdrop or skip off the floor. I destroyed several of my custom woodies that way.
Carbon and aluminum both have their place.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#18 Post by Shadowhntr »

Oh, I knew you were pulling my leg Kirk! Thats just what Kirk's do! :lol:

I only explained because one, I just wanted to make conversation, and two, just so that everyone could get a picture of what was going on in life and brain. I like to think out loud! In fact here is more of that.

Honestly, I could survive without ever messing with carbons. However I still would be thinking I'd never really given them a very fair shake. I have used and liked both wood and aluminums, but my carbon experience ended as quickly as it began because of bad experiences that I had created myself...though at the time I didnt realize that.

Im actually growing fond of the carbon. I dont think Im any more fond of carbon then I am aluminums or woods though at this point. To me, they are just another good material option that has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. It gives me a bit broader arsenal. Im surprised really, because deep down I have hated carbons now for a loooooong time. But I have always tried to be open to change, though im stubborn enough about it that at times it takes me longer to open up. I think my favorite aspect of carbon is, when they are used in conjuction with footings....they are nearly indestructible.....esp so out of light bows like I shoot. That means I wont be spending money over and over again. I can eventually use that saved money for other trad gear....in theory of course...as I have to wait to actually see that come to fruition.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#19 Post by Shadowhntr »

Ugh...this is one thing I hope to avoid using the carbons with the collars.... shooting today at 17yards at the range..

If you look close, not only the nock is split.. I actually broke 2 today, but I didnt take pics of the second. I just left instead.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

When I see that on my target butt..I back up.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#21 Post by Carpdaddy »

I need to give you some shooting lessons Shadow, it would save you a lot of nocks, mine are safe as Mothers arms! :oops:

Shadowhntr

#22 Post by Shadowhntr »

Lol...Kirk I really coudnt the way that one is layed out. The other targets in the same course were too far for me being 25+ yards. No happy medium at that range for some reason.

Id keep changing aiming points but it doesn't seem to matter. I'll aim 1.5 ft from other arrows, and STILL yank the shot and smack one somewhere. By far, Most of the arrows I split arent from shooting a tight group, its from making the same mistake twice, and those 2 might be a foot from the bullseye and they are often all alone.

But in any case....according to the big shots, they are claiming carbon collars keep shafts from splitting in these instances. They showed pics of one arrow stuck in the other arrows nock, and at least are claiming the collar saved the shaft. Its hard for me to buy into that, knowing what usually happens. ... anyone have experience with the collars, or them saving shafts?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

No, but I have experience with CF composites and can tell you that many archers are shooting carbon arrows that should be condemned. They usually don't realize it until an arrow explodes on release. With wood or aluminum you can usually see or hear the damage after it happens. Carbon can be a ticking time bomb in that the defects are very hard to detect without a thorough inspection...and most of us figure if it looks good it will shoot good. Not. Few archers take the time required after an arrow hit or ground/object strike to adequately inspect an arrow in my opinion.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#24 Post by Shadowhntr »

Well I got 6 of 12 carbons cut, and collars epoxy in place on both ends. I decided to epoxy the insert/adapters in place, but will hot glue my heads on the tapers..... so I will finish the epoxy job on that tomorrow.

Its amazing to me, how a 5.4 gr nock collar can take a 30% FOC , down to a 20% FOC. They both are hitting where im aiming/looking however. I'll have 6 target arrows at a lower FOC, but my 6 hunters will be 30% foc with 405gr end weight, using a Tuffhead. Total arrow weight is 695 on hunters, and a smidge over 700gr on target arrows.(the extra from nock collars) The Whip is loving them. These dudes are dialed in really well....cant wait to start shooting them together. Im thinking I wont be too embarrassed of my shooting so I can shoot up top with folks around....plus Im thinking I will go to the trad shoot/event at Pleasanton Ks known as the "Snowden" shoot in April. My first shoot of this type ever. I know, im a hermit....

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#25 Post by Carpdaddy »

Hey Jason; have you played with the 600 spine arrows any more? I am playing with some 600 and 500 spine both, not content just yet. I added some weight tubes to the 600 that puts them over 10 GPI and my 500 spine are already 13 GPI. Good for a heavier arrow but hurts foc. Just wondering where you are now with your carbons, I know you constantly tinker also like I do.

Return to “All about arrows”