Doug fir what spine# ?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Lead Ball

Doug fir what spine# ?

#1 Post by Lead Ball »

Hello I want to switch to fir shafts my bow is a Lee Hoots forward riser design it's 50# at 28" draw my draw is 28" I shoot 3 under and off the shelf want to shoot a heaveyish broad heads 150 t0 175 grn so what spine weight shaft should I get thanks for your advise

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Doug fir what spine# ?

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Lead Ball wrote:Hello I want to switch to fir shafts my bow is a Lee Hoots forward riser design it's 50# at 28" draw my draw is 28" I shoot 3 under and off the shelf want to shoot a heaveyish broad heads 150 t0 175 grn so what spine weight shaft should I get thanks for your advise
http://www.3riversarchery.com/dynamic-s ... chery.html

Also, go the the 3Rivers website and download the spine chart pdf ("Learn From The Experts", third tab from the right) and use your best judgement. Be advised that sometimes the spine charts come in a little light.

Assuming your bow is close to center-cut, and using average of 160gr BH weight, using a 30" wood arrow at 51-55# you should be starting *ballpark* with a 70-75 spine shaft.
My suggestion would be to purchase the 3Rivers Test kit "C" which allows you to test flight and grouping of arrow shaft spines between 65-80. I would leave them uncut (30") and test using field points of your preference. At $33.00 it's far better than to gamble on a dozen of the wrong shafts. I used one of these kits and was surprised to find I needed an arrow quite a bit stiffer than I originally thought. Well worth the investment.

Test kit C:

http://www.3riversarchery.com/3rivers-h ... t-kit.html
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

This one is in Shadowhntr's playing field, he has some of those with heavy points, probably even heavier than yours. Hopefully he will be by soon and stir you right. My guess-timate would be 60-70# but I'm just having fun guessing. There are plenty of woody guys here, I use Carbon & Cane. Don't forget to post pictures.
Well one wood head done beat me to the draw, quick draw Kirk!

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Is the bow cut to center, past center, or before center?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

I use a light point with cedar arrows. I use five pounds more than draw with a 125 grain tip. My 42lbs bow shoots a 45-50lbs shaft. The good news is you can get the spine wrong and still get good arrow flight. You can always adjust arrow point weight or length of shaft. I suggest a test kit if you can afford one. I wasn't able to afford a test kit and arrows so I guessed the first time and did well. I basically adjust only the length. For center cuts I suggest 10 to 15 pounds over draw weight. Non center cut i go 5-10. Might be wrong but my arrows fly well so that's my two cents.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

It's true spine can be adjusted by varying arrow length, BUT...many raw shafts come 30", my draw length is 29-29.5 (depending on if I had my Wheaties) and that leaves precious few fractions of an inch to play with as I like to allow at least an inch between the broadhead and my knuckles. I recommend spending the $$ on the test kit rather than relying on the charts.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “All about arrows”