Hardwoods for hunting and stumping

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Cody2306

Hardwoods for hunting and stumping

#1 Post by Cody2306 »

Hey guys I have another question that I want to ask and hopefully it can help others out wondering the same question. So I'm reading that cedar is the most popular wood for arrows. But I'm also reading that there not the toughest out there. So what is a good hardwood for hunting and stumping and where can I find a reputable supplier that sells them spines and weighed.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Hardwoods for hunting and stumping

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Douglas fir is a better choice. DF shafts are available from Surewood and others, but that is Surewood's specialty...DF.
For other hardwoods, footed shafts and exotics, you can't beat Forrester although they are a little more $$$. I usually purchase through 3Rivers, but truthfully, they are just a vendor so you will probably do better going right to the source, Cody.
Do a google search for "wood arrow shafts" and see what it yields.
Also, regardless of whether they are spine matched and weighed, you need a scale that can let you further batch them in smaller parcels (I usually do bunches of 3 or 4 because my bow quiver only holds 4). 3Rivers carries a nice digital pocket scale that you can measure not only shaft weight, but nocks and points as well to further dial in finished weight.
Aim small, miss small!

Cody2306

#3 Post by Cody2306 »

lol I have I scale.. I will probably look into the Douglas fur shafts... thanks .

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

DF are tougher then cedar, but you will still go through them stumping. Hardwoods will be much tougher, but are also much harder to deal with and they are heavy.

When it comes to stumping with woods, you just kinda expect their eventual destruction, and live with it. It's one reason I dont put a lot of time making stumpers or target arrows pretty. I would pretty up hunters if I took a notion though.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Cody2306

#5 Post by Cody2306 »

My goal is to hunt hog deer but also small game because small game is something I can do all year round for the most part.but while out shoot at some stumps as well. I wanna use the same arrows i stump and hunt with to be the same

Longtrad

#6 Post by Longtrad »

As long as they weight about the same I don't think you would notice any difference

Cody2306

#7 Post by Cody2306 »

Ohh I see

Jamesh76

#8 Post by Jamesh76 »

What weight are you shooting? below 45#?

Cody2306

#9 Post by Cody2306 »

53# at 28 and I'm drawing about 28

Jamesh76

#10 Post by Jamesh76 »

ok, my recommendation for arrows don't matter then. I agreed with Douglas with ur weight

Return to “All about arrows”