Glue on adapters for more weight

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Cody2306

Glue on adapters for more weight

#1 Post by Cody2306 »

Ok guys I am sure sorry for all the questions.?but this just so happens to be the forum I like the most. I was wanting a desired 200 grain point for the surewood shafts I ordered. But then I started second guessing and thinking more of a mid weight like 175g . But it seems every where I look I can't find a field point , small game head and broadheads in 175 . I might find one of them and then not the others in the same grain. So my instinct says use the woody glue on weights to match up the weights. So my question is say I find a 175 grain broad head but for the small game head and field point I'll need to use glue on weight adapters. Does glueing on the weight adapters give more length since there will be a adapter and field tip changing the spine? And if I use a adapter for one point do I need to use it on all the others or can I use a 175 g broad head on one arrow and on a diff arrow use a 75 g adapter with 100g. Field tip to equal the 175 . I hope this question makes since

Longtrad

Re: Glue on adapters for more weight

#2 Post by Longtrad »

woody weights will work fine to get your point weights matching, I think they do add a bit of length but I am not certain, I know Shadow uses them a lot, he'll know for sure.

Most people don't have any tuning issues when using long points and short points that weigh the same. Technically the longer point may need a slightly stiffer spine but I don't think this is an issue for very many people. The biggest change between a short and long point will be a change in FoC, but accuracy, tune, and cast should stay the same.

for small game points check out the small game thumpers made by vpa and the Ace hex heads. They come in a large variety of weights.

melting solder or lead into the back of a 38 special or 357 case also works well for blunts, and you can get about any weight you want.

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

I am not sure if they make 175gn glue on field points, the test kit I have goes from 165 grains to 190 grains...

You might be able to melt 10 grains of solder into the tip of a field point or use a jig to drill a small hole in the tip of your arrow and glue a small piece of nail in there for weight. You could also add addition coats of sealer to your field point arrows to make up the 10 grain difference.

10 grains isnt much though, A lot of people dont even worry about it and just shoot 165gn field points and 175gn broadheads without giving it a thought, not many people will constantly notice a 10 grain difference in arrows, but there are some who do.

Cody2306

#4 Post by Cody2306 »

Awsome. I would like to stay away from the woody weights if possible. But I would also like as close of a match as possible. Ur thanks guys

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

I seriously don't think I can add a thing here...longtrad that was impressive coverage, and I agree whole heartedly with all you said. Nice!

*Correction..I CAN add something. Cody dont ever feel like asking questions is a bother. Us old timers remember the time when information was slim and hard to come by with no internet or computers. Struggling along as we did, it certainly makes us want to help anyone who seeks knowledge. You are always welcome here with as many questions as oft as you need to. The real shame would be if you held back.... you are one with us and our brother in Archery.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Cody2306

#6 Post by Cody2306 »

Thanks shadowhntr I do plenty of researching in fact every chance I get. But it is also reassuring when I can acually talk to some fellow archers.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

I second Shadow's comments. Helping each other is the whole reason for this forum in the first place. I didn't know squat about arrow tuning or FOC when I came here, and I made some great friends in the process.
If you had questions you didn't ask or were afraid to, we would be poor mentors indeed!
Aim small, miss small!

Cody2306

#8 Post by Cody2306 »

Y'all are awsome..

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

We would like to think so... :mrgreen:
WRT your question about the Woodyweights...while I've not used them, I have heard they do weaken the spine a wee bit...which is cool, because you are adding length and now you can trim your arrow if need be. You can also use a lighter head or a lighter WW to get the right arrow tune.
Aim small, miss small!

Cody2306

#10 Post by Cody2306 »

Nice. I guess gonna barshaft tune with the 75g ww and 100g fp . When it comes that time. Do you bareshaft wood arrows or do y'all prefer paper tuning with fletchings for tuning wood? I feel like I could bareshaft a wood arrow but it would def be more time consuming

Return to “All about arrows”