Stain and sealer question about spine

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Cody2306

Stain and sealer question about spine

#1 Post by Cody2306 »

My surewood shafts spine kit just arrived but I'm still waiting on my field tips and nicks and a few other items to get here before I can start tinkering. My question is should I stain and seal before I bareshaft tune. I'm asking because I think I read somewhere that it maybe changed somebody's time that bareshafted then stained or maybe it was just a weight change. I can't remember. And when y'all trim wood shafts that have glue on points do u start trimming from the field tip side or nick side? Thanks guys on my carbons I haven't had to trim when I bareshafted I just played with tip weight . But it's crazy as I start understandig how my arrow works it acually tightens up my groups

Shadowhntr

Re: Stain and sealer question about spine

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

I've done it either way Cody. Anymore though, I like to stain and then do a very very light coating of finish before I bare shaft. Don't put too much finish on though because it will make the shafts diameter larger and it can get tight in your tapering tool. I use a gasket squeegee system for finish so 1 coat is very very thin. I cannot count how many times I've bare shaft tuned with raw shafts or just stained shafts too though, and in fact id highly recommend doing without finish for a few dozen until you really get a feel for things. As far as trimming...unless you have rear tapered shafts, you technically can trim from either end. However doing so from the head end keeps you from ruining a small pile of nocks.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Cody2306

#3 Post by Cody2306 »

Ok thanks for the info. So I guess it's not necessary to stain an finish. Is that just purely cosmetic?

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Stain is for sure. The sealer can slightly change spine but not much. It will change total arrow weight 15-20gr.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Ditto what Jason said.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “All about arrows”