Shaft straightness

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Cody2306

Shaft straightness

#1 Post by Cody2306 »

So I finally got everything I needed from shipping to start playing with my surewood spine kit.
'Was waiting for field points and such' . I have spun the shafts on a arrow spinner and there not perfect like a carbon arrow but there dang close. Do I need to worry about that or is pretty close good for wood. I can't spot the spot with my eyes. But when I spin it's got just the slighted wiggle

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Shaft straightness

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Don't know about wood but if you were to spin some of my Bamboo arrows you would crack up laughing, then you would say no way! But they fly well.

Cody2306

#3 Post by Cody2306 »

Lol cool . Does anybody know how long to let ferr l tite sir for before using once I put on field tips

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Ugh...id get quick stick glue. Big Jim, and 3Rivers have it. Ferr-L-Tite shatters like glass and fails. I lost a lot of heads in the target from that stuff. Quick stick fixed that problem.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

A lil blip in the shafts won't hurt. I only hand straiten by eye and dont have issues with it. Just get em as straight as you can..and call it perfect!

Cody2306

#6 Post by Cody2306 »

Nice my problem now is my nock slot is to wide on my serving. I'm gonna try and wrap some floss around the serving till I can figure out a solution

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

I prefer a little loose...but not totally sloppy. Definately dont want a tight fit though. Just so it barely stays on the string if held upside down and dangling. A slight jar should allow the arrow to fall if it's right.

Cody2306

#8 Post by Cody2306 »

Yeah it does stay on but when I draw back it falls off the string due to resistance from shelf I guess. I'll play around with it and see what happens because ur right I don't want it to tight. It I don't want it to loose where I go to draw on a target and my arrow falls off

Cody2306

#9 Post by Cody2306 »

Well now that I'm looking at it. I normally use my pointer finger to hold my arrow on the shelf as I draw.
With these new nocks I have to be real careful. It to do that

Longtrad

#10 Post by Longtrad »

teflon plumbers tape works too if you have some of that laying around

Return to “All about arrows”