What broadhead(s) do you plan on using this season?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

What broadhead(s) do you plan on using this season?

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

OK, so which broadhead(s) do you plan on using this season, and more importantly...why?
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: What broadhead(s) do you plan on using this season?

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

SHARP ONES!! :lol: Guess I corn-fused you will all those I am testing. :geek: My go to head is the Abowyer and followed closely by Grizzly. Why? Results! Long, single bevel, tanto tip, what's not to like.

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

I've got some really nice Tuffheads setting it out this season but I Love them heads! I also got grizzlys sitting it out...love them too!

This year I'm using RMS Cutthroats. Why? Dunno...I just like em! :lol:

Ok, ok... They fit exactly what I look for in shape and mechanical advantage, tip type, edge type, large bevel surface area, thickness, high quality, they are machined from 1 piece of steel, come reasonably sharpened, teflon coated, no questions asked lifetime warranty replacement, and are still competitively priced.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

I'm shooting 250 grain heads this year so I get to use my cut throats again along with some good old zwickey deltas.

Why? Cause I already have em! Zwickey is hard to beat for the money and I am able to easily put a shaving edge on them with the accusharp and a piece of cardboard. Ease of sharpening is moving up on my list of things I like in a BH, I'm not very good at free handing with a file.

I would use my kodiaks but they are a little too heavy unless I get some aluminum adapters.

Crazynate

#5 Post by Crazynate »

Bear razorheads and why I guess because I'm such a huge fan of Fred Bears. I also run VPA 3 blades because they are easy to sharpen with a file like the razorheads and they leave a good hole.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Me; I'm not sure if I'm gonna stick with the Zwickey Eskimos or not...no issues other than they are 125 grain and a bit on the light side if you would ask Doc Ashby...I might try adding some Woody Weights and seeing if that helps.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

For carbons I buy glue on heads, weight can be easily altered with various weight screw in adapters. I know you use wood Kirk so that's about all you can do.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Not saying I wouldn't try carbons, but I do love the woodies.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

I ended up using the same Zwickey-tipped arrows this year as previous. I keep being tempted to try other, heavier broadheads, but fact is...the Zwickey Eskimo is as effective and deadly today as it was half a decade ago. Every year I see new ads for the latest and greatest. While I don't doubt their claims, I also haven't been coaxed into switching.
Aim small, miss small!

elkslayer4x5

#10 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Zwicky 130 gr No Mercy single bevel on 32" cedar. Ok they're only 31 7/8" , My draw, plus 1" and 7/8" taper Haven't weighed feathers and nocks yet but am up to 507Grs as is. I am pretty good with a file but I'm way better with this. ;)
broadhead stone.jpg
broadhead stone.jpg (43.29 KiB) Viewed 372 times

Return to “All about arrows”