Time to get serious and call in the heavyweights!

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Shadowhntr

Re: Time to get serious and call in the heavyweights!

#11 Post by Shadowhntr »

My arrows are full length Beman Bowhunters in 500 spine. Yes for my 40lb bow at 28". I also introduced some lead shot into the end of my broadhead adapter on the lighter set up to gain 10 gr. Once in there I just dabbled hot glue in the hole and heated it so it ran down on the shot to keep it quiet. You can gain another 15gr by using washer weights between arrow and head. No matter what you do for head end weight it's going to more or less increase spine needs. No way around that. Carbons can sometimes have a wide range of spine though that can allow use of one length and spine for a few different set ups.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#12 Post by Shadowhntr »

Seriously though Tony... I have 2 bows of the same make, one 58" and 45 @28" and one 62" and 44lb @ 28". You'd think I would be able to use the exact arrows and get identical flight but I don't. I always liked the 58" bow better because it just seems to like me back so I always tuned my arrows to it, and simply put up with a bit worse flight out of the 62" bow. I need to make each with their own arrows but I likely wont.
Point being...those are 2 custom bows of same make within 1lb of each other and they each require a slightly different arrow. What's funny is someone else can pick up my bow and shoot it and they may get great flight or it may be hideous. Lol! Every person shoots different and every bow is different. If I wasn't so lucky as to get absolutely amazing flight with them 370gr and 350gr heads, I'd still be looking for a combo that I could deal with. I'm extremely happy with the set up for the 40lb bow. Yours certainly can want something much different...

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#13 Post by Carpdaddy »

Lots of good ideas and things to ponder on. I will continue to play around with it and see what I can come up with. Season is near!!

Shadowhntr

#14 Post by Shadowhntr »

Both nock end and head end collars up weight some too Tony. You can crunch several numbers and add 5" fletching too for more. Several things together at either end may just get you there. I also have moved my fletching farther forward.

Shadowhntr

#15 Post by Shadowhntr »

Ttt

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

This was, and is, a great thread!
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#17 Post by Graps »

That's lotsa FOC right there.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

#18 Post by Graps »

With a setup like that, all you have to do is drop the arrow from your tree stand and it would be a complete pass through. :shock:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#19 Post by Captainkirk »

At the distances trad hunters generally take a shot (12-15 yards) really not much of a chance for adverse arrow flight on the heavyweights.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#20 Post by Shadowhntr »

Captainkirk wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:53 pm At the distances trad hunters generally take a shot (12-15 yards) really not much of a chance for adverse arrow flight on the heavyweights.
I've been scratching my head on this one...about adverse flight with heavy heads. I'm not getting how I can get such great flight out of heads pushing 400gr ( I've actually shot up to 430 gr head), while others have trouble making 300gr fly, with similar bows? Not talking about arrows dropping, but erratic flight. Is that what is meant by adverse flight? If so, The only possible answer I can come up with has to be spine mis-matches for the head weight.
Right now I'm shooting a pretty darn light shaft at 7.3 gr per inch. I've loaded up 370gr worth of end weight on those light-ish shafts and out of my 40lb Whip they are like they are spinning true as a bullet the whole way....provided I get a good release or no heavy winds. Those two factors are always there though no matter what arrow I shoot. Erratic flight HAS to be a tuning issue, not necessarily a heavy head weight issue....am I thinking right here? As long as you don't mind the drop, you should be able to tune an arrow in, to fly straight even with 500 grain heads. I guess so long as you don't run out of spine for your poundage, length, and bow anyway....right? :?

Return to “All about arrows”