Trying to be like Fred

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Shadowhntr

Re: Trying to be like Fred

#16 Post by Shadowhntr »

I think that perfectly fine Nate. Fred was certainly an archer way before he was a businessmen. Hooking up with Art Young...making self bows from staves, hunting 6 years before taking a deer with that bow....all things that says he was an archer at heart well before the buisness started too. I will also say he is probably the most brilliant businessmen to ever have been in archery or will ever be. He HAD to offer new things to stay afloat financially and sell them to archers and convenience them they needed his products. Not a thing in the world wrong with that...its a classic American success story and I respect the heck out of him for it. But as I stated earlier he had a good portion of him, pushing forward in the innovation department, because it was imparitive to his buisness that he had invested everything he owned in. Of course he was going to promote all the newest best things...he HAD to. I dont judge him or anyone for that at all. I love and enjoy many of those innovations myself! However, if those innovations conflict with my personal goals or ethics, I will not follow no matter who it is doing the innovating. What I'm trying to say, is it comes down to a personal line that we draw, and not necessarily the line drawn by others, even if they are very influential. I know you get that as you stated so. And we all have our idols and hero's bro, nothing wrong with that at all and if you want to follow Fred Bear then you would do yourself injustice not to. I'm not a huge fan but I do respect him always as a fellow senior archer and as a phenomenon in the buisness world. I can't help but say my biggest hero as you probably know is Ishi. For no other reason then his story moves me. I know you are moved by Fred, as many are....nothing wrong with that at all. Nate all this is just conversation and view. I hold your friendship way more valuable then any conversation topic. Please dont take any of this as some type of scolding or something because it is not. Iron sharpens iron. If we all had one way of thinking, what a boring world this would be! As a brother, I respect you and care for you a lot.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Crazynate

Re: Trying to be like Fred

#17 Post by Crazynate »

I like what you have to say I wouldn't ever take it in a negative way at all I respect your opinion. It's interesting to hear somebody else's ideas and thoughts. That's why I like this place. Nobody jumps down your throats for having an opinion. I am guilty though I have never read much about ishi or other archery pioneers before Fred. This past June at Compton Wade Phillips did a great presentation on Art young and his contributions to Archery. That was super cool as are all Wades displays and presentations . I know they're are other great Archers everyone should read about and hopefully someday I will read about all of them. I actually have stacks of books about all those guys I have picked up at antique shops I just need to read them lol
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Return to “All about arrows”