Anybody tried these?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Anybody tried these?

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

http://www.3riversarchery.com/bowjax-ul ... ncers.html

No, they're not as cool or as period as beaver balls, Navajo wool or the like...but I like the fact they slip over the string without separating and are probably easily movable for fine tuning. I just don't like being the guinea pig...
Aim small, miss small!

Jamesh76

Re: Anybody tried these?

#2 Post by Jamesh76 »

I had something very similar on a compound I used to have. It seemed the little balls on the end always broke off.

I got some old bike tire tube in the garage...... Debating on making a cat whisker type silencer out of it if I can cut it straight.

Crazynate

#3 Post by Crazynate »

I tried thes older models that were made for compound bows. They seem to work ok but they didn't fit tightly as I'd like to the string I had them on and they would slide. I'm sure they corrected that and I bet they work well. Especially for endless loop strings so you don't have to serve. Bear archery made almost identical string silencers as these back in the 70s. I believe I have some in the package somewhere. They look identical. Wonder if that's where they got the idea.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

I have used a few different types but not that one. They seem a little in the heavy side to me. I have used cat whiskers, silicon jig or spinnerbait skirts from my fishing box, and even a rubber band tied on my string. It doesn't take but a small piece of something on most of bows. I mostly use puff balls I make from wool yarn. Just my preference to go lighter.

Tom M

#5 Post by Tom M »

Rats, if I had seen your post I would have got a pair. Just got an order from them today. Looks like they would fit in with my Pearson Warf and SF extreme limbs. Whole bow will be man made materials, no natural stuff like wood or wool.

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

All ive used are yarn puff balls, cat whiskers, River Otter and Beaver fur. All work to silence but I actually prefer a short cut cat whisker because they shed burrs and stick tights....
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Jose

#7 Post by Jose »

Shadowhntr wrote:All ive used are yarn puff balls, cat whiskers, River Otter and Beaver fur. All work to silence but I actually prefer a short cut cat whisker because they shed burrs and stick tights....

What Jason said X2

Return to “The Bowyer”