Building Basics?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Graps

Re: Building Basics?

#16 Post by Graps »

Captainkirk wrote:"Nothing wrong with the quiet"
Kirk , you quiet ?
Yeah , right !
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps, graps......
Can't you tell by my tone I was mocking hornfrog? (that's his signature, ya know!)
Me? Quiet?
Like Buddy Holly said; "That'll be the Day!"
Aim small, miss small!

hornfrog

#18 Post by hornfrog »

Graps, this is where you would answer back. :)
"Nothing wrong with the quiet."

Graps

#19 Post by Graps »

This site is running verry S...L...O...W...
I am at McDs with 4g and good service . Still taking about 2 minuits to load the pages on here .
So........ That's why no quick comebacks .
Been like this for a few days now .
My wife just rolls her eyes while I'm fighting with it .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

graps wrote: My wife just rolls her eyes while I'm fighting with it .
That ain't why she's rollin' her eyes.
She's prolly tryin' to have a conversation with you while you're out there in cyberspace.
Aim small, miss small!

Big Foot

#21 Post by Big Foot »

Not much res[pose on this thread, so i thought i might putin 2 cents worth. I have helped many , many beginners get started on the right track, and i build bows professionally...

Of course i'm an odd ball in that i don't believe giving trade secrets to other bowyers or beginners is wrong at all. Building a bow, and becoming a bowyer is like cooking in many ways. You can give the same recipe to 10 experienced bowyers and come up with 10 completely different bows. Once you have the basics down, and are willing to roll up your sleeves and build a few, you'll find out pretty quick if you have the patience and skill level to come up with a good finished product.

Getting back to the original question on this thread, i'd point the beginner in the direction of "Bingham's Projects" http://www.binghamprojects.com/

Elmont Binham has some great basic bow designs and step by step instructions along with templates for building forms, hot boxes, and has all the materials you would need...... That's how i started myself....

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#22 Post by Captainkirk »

Thank you for that link and your insight, Kirk. I'm still pondering the 'leap' to bow-building...as if I don't have enough hobbies now! :lol:
Who knows...maybe after I retire...if ever? :?
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

Kirk, check your PM's...
Aim small, miss small!

Jamesh76

#24 Post by Jamesh76 »

I'd tell him to buy Dean Toges book and then ask questions if he was going self bow route. if not, start reading the Bowyer bible books and go from there.

Big Foot

#25 Post by Big Foot »

Jamesh76 wrote:I'd tell him to buy Dean Toges book and then ask questions if he was going self bow route. if not, start reading the Bowyer bible books and go from there.
The bowyers bible series is interesting reading and gives you a lot of history, but isn't much help on modern glass bows..... I never got into whittling staves much. My first osage self bow still sits on a shelf and has been there for years. After building all my own draw knives and scrapers & learning how to chase rings..... i just lost interest in it.
Got too busy building glass bows is more like it...

Maybe some day i'll blow the dust off it and get er done....

Return to “The Bowyer”