Building Basics?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Building Basics?

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

OK, for you experienced bow builders out there; suppose you were going to start at the very beginning explaining to a complete idiot (wait..that sounds incriminating!) on how to go about building your very first bow. This 'idiot' has no hot box, bow mold, glass lams or even wood so would have to know sources, what to look for, etc.
What would you tell this person to help them build a bow from scratch? :?:
Aim small, miss small!

hornfrog

Re: Building Basics?

#2 Post by hornfrog »

That's easy Kirk. If I was a bowyer I'd ask that idiot how much he wanted to spend and what model he liked. :lol: :lol:
"Nothing wrong with the quiet."

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

hornfrog wrote:That's easy Kirk. If I was a bowyer I'd ask that idiot how much he wanted to spend and what model he liked. :lol: :lol:
Ummm....yeah.
I wasn't referring to a bowyer that sells bows to earn a living, more like a guy who builds bows for hissownself but not fer other folks (you listenin' yet, CD? Yer ears burnin'?) I wouldn't expect a bowyer to give away his trade secrets to some 'idiot', and I'm not even sure...I mean 'that idiot' isn't even sure...he would attempt it. Besides, I'm half-guessing by the time you built a hotbox, bow mold and bought materials you could probably go out and buy two nice bows like a Bear Montana, Grizzly, etc. Of course I could be all wrong, which is why I'm...uhhh...'some idiot' is askin'....
Aim small, miss small!

hornfrog

#4 Post by hornfrog »

Hmmmmm....................... CD?

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

How many build along does he need to do before you pay attention ?
You know , you can do a self bow for bout nothing .
Takes a bunch of whittlin' and patients though .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

hornfrog

#6 Post by hornfrog »

hmm............................

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

Hummm, I did do several build alongs on here. No secrets of the trade here, posted pictures with explanations during the builds. Must be like Graps back lay string build, still ain't sunk through this thick skull!

Graps

#8 Post by Graps »

I'm thinkin' that Kirk is so poor that he can't even pay attention .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Now, stop pickin' on the poor ol' village idiot. I seen what CD did with the hotbox and the mold and sech...but he nebber done tol' us how he made the mold and the hotbox...did he? (nyah, nyah!)

What do I do... find a bow I like and trace it out to make a mold? Or just wing it with artistic flair and hope it shoots?
Maybe I'll just buy another bow.....
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

You saw how on my last build that I took input from you guys on what I should try, I posted many pictures of an uncut form with various styles laid out on it with a piece of aluminum. I listened to all but Graps cuz he suggested a horsebow. Steve idea appealed most to me though I varied a little from his first suggestion which was straight with curbed tips. It's the bow I named Kirk!

Return to “The Bowyer”