Carp bows

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Carp bows

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote:
Carpdaddy wrote:I don't just talk to myself, I can answer myself back, right? Why, yes I can, and I have great long talks sonetimes you know. Oh I certainly think so too! So hows the weather carpy? Oh its FABULOUS!.....
:shock:
You should see him up a tree..... :?
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#17 Post by Carpdaddy »

Wow I surprise myself sometimes, I say more than I thought I said!
Another question was ask on Triple-L's thread by the newest blabber-mouth (won't mention names but he just hit 300 post) about the cost of materials to build a bow, there are too many variables here for a good answer but I will tell some of it as best I can.
Heres what you need...

Shadowhntr

#18 Post by Shadowhntr »

Oh goody goody goody....its my turn!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#19 Post by Carpdaddy »

2 pieces Gorden glass, one for back and one for belly, cost?
Clear ULS fiberglass $20-$25 each depending upon supplier.
Black UL glass $11.75 - $20. Get mine at Big Jims for 11.75 each.
Brown ULS glass $15-20. Big Jim again @ &15.00
Pick your glass, if you want some fancy wood veneers shining through then you got to buy clear. I usually use the .040 thickness.
Check http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote:Wow I surprise myself sometimes, I say more than I thought I said!
Another question was ask on Triple-L's thread by the newest blabber-mouth (won't mention names but he just hit 300 post).....

https://youtu.be/yOQ9-b_Usy8?t=28s
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#21 Post by Shadowhntr »

Hmmmm...im looking but cant find where to look for glass at big jims..i tried search and online catalog. .

Shadowhntr

#22 Post by Shadowhntr »

Captainkirk wrote:
Carpdaddy wrote:Wow I surprise myself sometimes, I say more than I thought I said!
Another question was ask on Triple-L's thread by the newest blabber-mouth (won't mention names but he just hit 300 post).....

https://youtu.be/yOQ9-b_Usy8?t=28s

Hahaha! Like ol Ralph said!!!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#23 Post by Carpdaddy »

Now we can't let Graps get too far ahead of us so we got to get us some fancy looking wood to go under the clear glass. Check out this site for some of the finest out there. http://www.woodgallery295.net That's Troy Breeding's site, one of our silent members here. For my last bow and Marks bow we bought these Shedua veneers for $25 a set I think. Now if we aim to get some of that fancy Ebony like Graps then that's another story! That stuff is not easy to find and is even harder on the pocket book if you do, especially if you get it with worms! Troy don't offer it but his average lams range around $20-$60 depending upon wood choices. Don't even want to guess at that black/white Ebony!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#24 Post by Carpdaddy »

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#25 Post by Carpdaddy »

To save on shipping cost each lam comes in two 36" pieces that you must splice together.
More tomorrow.

Return to “The Bowyer”