New Semi Static limbs for my LB riser from Bigfoot

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Ole Dave

New Semi Static limbs for my LB riser from Bigfoot

#1 Post by Ole Dave »

Bigfoot SAS Riser & new Semi-static rC Limbs

The last bow I bought, I dropped weight to compensate for some issues of aging. Due to shoulder surgery this Spring, I did not expect to hunt bow this year. My surgeon is very conservative and even now, 19 weeks out, he has me on restrictions.

But…I got an invite to hunt private ground…OMG… how wonderful. Access here in my adopted state and area of NE TN has been tough! I told him I’m not yet shooting bows, but I’d go with and sit with a camera. He suggested I bring any bow.

Last fall I got a wild hair when I learned that Kirk at Bigfoot makes a SEMI-Static RC limb that fits my Sasquatch LB riser….. (he says it’s a SEMI-static limb in that the curves do open a tiny bit where his SS limbs do not and are true STATIC…)

Kirk does NOT mass produce varied replacement, bolt on limbs. He wants to custom fit all limbs to YOUR riser- for reasons that made sense to me--- so I sent my bow to him with a deposit for the SEMI static RC limbs in lower draw weight. (He calls them First Generation Sasquatch RC limbs)

They arrived! Strung it up, put on silencers at 1/3 and ¼ marks… and did some limited shooting…as I’d been doing those pulling exercises and shot a few light bows

I started out with the .400 GTs I had made up for another bow with my preferred heavy front weight (EFOC)… they flew well out of my old Bear Bow at 40#...so ….

I have a few of the .400’s made up so I got the bow with new limbs put together, reinstalled the side plate and shelf material I'd taken off cause Kirk likes velcro and I use sealskin, so I kept it here to save it! Took it outside to shoot!

10, 15, then 20, then 25 yards… Good heavens but that 38# set of SEMI – static limbs rockets those 585 gr. Arrows! I’m tickled pink. There might not fully weigh 585 since they're built on the GT Ultralight shafts to save weight... thinner walls, but if they break on a deer, oh, well... what a glorious end to an arrow's life!

These new limbs spits arrows that I have ready to screw in heads and go hunt so that I will wait to do further testing till the arm is much stronger…

I don’t want to drift too far away from the lovely 47# LB limbs, as they’re sweet and lovely to shoot, but I’d not wish to fathom trying to pull them right now…thos 38’s were to keep me in the game a bit longer down the road.

I know, pics or it didn’t happen…here’s a link to some: https://goo.gl/photos/r4aWVVJAnJeW6qbb9

NOTE: Until shoulders are fully healed and regain strength, I’ll hunt the next, last week of bow with the 38# limbs and the .400 spine (5575) with 300 up front (585 total gr.) till spring with further testing…

AS with all Kirk’s bows (bigfoot) the performance exceeds poundage
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: New Semi Static limbs for my LB riser from Bigfoot

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Beautiful bow, Dave! Glad you can continue to shoot and hunt using lighter limbs. And how can you go wrong with a guy named Kirk? ;)
Aim small, miss small!

Ole Dave

#3 Post by Ole Dave »

Captainkirk wrote:Beautiful bow, Dave! Glad you can continue to shoot and hunt using lighter limbs. And how can you go wrong with a guy named Kirk? ;)
Indeed... he's a corker too! :):):)

I'm going to push hard to get back to the original 47# LB limbs as they're 60" and he made these light weights 64" to get the most efficiency out of the lower draw weight... and it worked, but I like the shorter LB limbs more... I"m sure I can get back to the 47# but now I have some to keep me in the game in future years...they need a bit more work on arrows, but another day... :)
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Couple of old Bear bows

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Oooooooooo! Nice bows!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Hope those new limbs put meat in the freezer, and boy that is some beautiful bow pictures!

Ole Dave

#6 Post by Ole Dave »

Thanks, Tony.

That bow was a dream long awaited. I'd contracted with a few bowyers over the years for a "custom" but it meant merely a Chinese take out menu of wood choices.

I sold those off relatively early. I had grip issues and couldn't figure it out, neither could (would?) those bowyers.

By the time I got to Kirk at Bigfoot... I was a bit cranky. I'd done several "try efore you buy deals with some great bow builders... but the cost to ship and insure was back then even like $30 a pop... ouch!

I emailed a few bow people... when I wanted to find the right grip... explained my problem...some called me or emailed back...most were sure they had a sure fire solution.

Kirk explained what he needed to diagnose my grip... Videos of me shooting... He got them, viewed frame by frame, found out I had "Excessive wrist rotation" and altered my grip some...

We bantered during my "wait period" over wood choices... he makes beautiful bows, but functional. He refused to accept the tried and true till he understood what the reasons were to say yea or nay. He invested in hs video... watched everything on many other type bows...saw how they flailed around after arrow left the string...learned about vertical and horizontal limb stability... designed, tested, redesigned till he has it where the energy in the limbs goes into the arrow, not back into bow and shooter.

I saved, scrimped and told him I do NOT want to know what that total bow cost! I sold stuff to get money to afford some "upgrades" along the way. I wanted the beauty of wood grain, like dad a cabinet maker, taught me. I got it.

My LB limbs are the bocote veneers on one side and the bubinga on the other... Kirk at first thought I was nuts, studied on it and decided it would be cool. We did belly ramp caps in bubina to carry the veneers on the belly thru...

I'm very happy with it! Best of all, it fits my paw. :) Worth the price of admission!

Couple of old Bear bows

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

I'll say! That sounds like the mark of a bowyer who aims to please.
Aim small, miss small!

Ole Dave

#8 Post by Ole Dave »

Captainkirk wrote:I'll say! That sounds like the mark of a bowyer who aims to please.
He does...

His designs are no slouch and his fabrication processes are sterling. I've never shot a bow that harnessed all the effort put into the limbs like his!

Couple of old Bear bows

Return to “The Bowyer”