Goin nuts

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Goin nuts

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

Tradman wrote:Nope...It lives lol.
So ask yourself..."What did I do different on that one?"
Aim small, miss small!

Tradman

#17 Post by Tradman »

The only difference is al helped me build that one at his shop.EUREKA!.....THATS IT!...My shop is cursed!...Get the torch Martha time for a weeney roast!
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Tradman

#18 Post by Tradman »

I use a firehose in my form (70 pounds) with pressure strips and cook the bows at 180ish for four hours then unplug oven and let it cool down usually overnight.vertical lams.I buy most of my woods from gilmer here in Portland and they take care of it very well and all that.I buy my glass and glue from binghams
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Big Foot

#19 Post by Big Foot »

Well good grief brutha! I just noticed you are pretty darn close to me here. You should plan on coming by my shop some time....

Well first of all 70# pressure is too much for an air hose system. Epoxy or even Urac isn't designed for high pressure clamping..... There are other ways to get your lams nice and tight together without all that pressure. 45-55# is way more than enough. Most guys have issues in the fade areas or belly ramp areas. What i do is uses wedges from each side of the form on top of my air hose if things are not closing up like they should.

get your form buttoned up and just slip the tips of the wedges in from each side of the form where they overlap.... hit the air with a quick shot and get 20-25# in the hose. Then tap your wedges gently until the lams come together..... Then..... bump your pressure to 35-40#, wait a minute and go to 45-55#... that's all you need.......

There is a good possibility that you are ending up with dry joints with 70# of pressure.

Are you using EA-40 smooth on?

Tradman

#20 Post by Tradman »

:roll:.....Next bow I will try at 55.Youre not far away from here at all really.I think a road trip is coming up soon eh.

Big Foot

#21 Post by Big Foot »

What kind of taper rate are you using? you said 105/110 .... does that mean you used 2 tapers and that was the thickness at the butts?

looking at your limb shape, i think i'd recommend a total forward taper of .003 . you could use one at .002 and one at .001 or better yet a pair of ,0015 . another recommendation would be to go with a 3 lam core. run your tapers belly and back and a .040 par in the center. 3 thinner lams are going to be stronger and more resilient.

i don't know what length your riser is tip to tip, but those fades look like they should be extended. there are two ways to do this.... one obviously is using a 20" riser and thin those fades down to an 1/8" to nothing in the last 2 inches..... long lean fades are flexible and do not create a hinge point so easily...

The second option is to use power lams. A power lam is nothing more than a really long thin wedge that extends your fades...... for example on that bow with an 18" riser, i'd mill a power lam @ .080 thick, 26-28" in length and taper each end from .080 to nothing in 10 inches at each end. When you lay up the bow put you first set of tapers on top of the glass, then your .040 par, then your power lam is centered and then your riser. and have just one taper & glass running your belly ramps......

What you will find is that by going with 3 lams, its much easier to bend that taper up the belly ramps. I put my pressure strips on the belly side and use zip ties to pull everything together. Starting at the center of your riser working towards the tips. This keeps that riser from sliding around.....

check this out.... This will give you an idea on how i use the zip ties.

https://youtu.be/uAMsgze0u7Y

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#22 Post by Captainkirk »

Nice! Do you have any more videos continuing on from here?
(I would have shut Michael McDonald off, too!)
Aim small, miss small!

Cookies

#23 Post by Cookies »

Larry, that first broken limb pic looks like it's broken across the lam (as opposed to delaminated). Is there any chance of twist in your limbs? maybe some of your lams have a nasty cross-grain? I'm no expert (having carved up one 15# selfbow :lol: ) but that's what it looks like to me.

Also, have you considered eye (or maybe full face) protection for your first few draws on a new bow? Might be a good idea!

Tradman

#24 Post by Tradman »

:roll:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#25 Post by Carpdaddy »

Real good videos Bigfoot, I watched several of them.

Return to “The Bowyer”