The Sasquatch SS Special

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Big Foot

The Sasquatch SS Special

#1 Post by Big Foot »

SS Speacial2.jpg
SS Speacial2.jpg (100.83 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
I had a customer of mine that got his hands on one of my ILF risers during his wait time & fell in love with it. He asked me if i could do the same riser with a bolt down configuration instead of the ILF hardware...... and..... here it is with a sanding sealer and a couple on the tree.

19" Black Walnut riser with a G-10 frame. Medium limbs , 62" length. 56@30" and the photo is at 30" on the tree...... No tests needed... the 3rd arrow through the bow at 570 grains, the feathers went up in flames.... I've got my chrono in the hay loft and just didn't want to take a chance setting fire to my shop. ;)

Sasquatch SS Special

a few more pics in the album here.....

https://goo.gl/photos/DL14hDUXEfAdzHLu8
Attachments
SS Speacial3.jpg
SS Speacial3.jpg (66.26 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
SS Speacial1.jpg
SS Speacial1.jpg (70.15 KiB) Viewed 1572 times

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: The Sasquatch SS Special

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Nice! Looks like a shooter.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Very nice! Wish I knew more about bow building...
Aim small, miss small!

Big Foot

#4 Post by Big Foot »

Captainkirk wrote:Very nice! Wish I knew more about bow building...

Its an investment of time & money for materials that can be very satisfying after you get the basics down. But it requires the patience of Job sometimes..... Even after you get it down, and things are moving along well for you, at any given moment something comes up you've never seen before. You never stop learning tricks about building these things....

For example: About every dozen bows i build, one of the limbs come out heavier weight than its sister, and the tiller is way out of whack. They both come out of the same form, using exactly the same materials, and are rough profiled exactly the same too....... Its a total mystery i've never been able to figure out, and i've got about 400 of these bows under my belt now. I typically build 40-50 custom bows per year on an average, but last year i built about 70 including stock bows.

Longtrad

#5 Post by Longtrad »

Very strange Kirk, I was wondering do the different riser shapes or styles have any impact on performance? What about the ilf limbs vs your bolt on style? any difference in performance there? I was also wondering about how much your bows weight on average. I have been looking through your site again and had those question come to mind.

Big Foot

#6 Post by Big Foot »

Longtrad wrote:Very strange Kirk, I was wondering do the different riser shapes or styles have any impact on performance? What about the ilf limbs vs your bolt on style? any difference in performance there? I was also wondering about how much your bows weight on average. I have been looking through your site again and had those question come to mind.
The riser shapes and style have very little impact on performance other than building them so they do not flex at all. All wood, even laminated wood with long slender shapes can rob a lot of energy storage that could be transferred to the limbs with a stiffer riser...... The location of the deepest part of the grip, and using the correct brace height for the particular limb design can have a large impact on performance.

ILF vs Bolt down limbs if coming out of the same form will have the "Potential" for equal performance if the limbs are balanced and set up correctly with the right amount of pre load at brace. The bolt down limbs need to be balanced out by the bowyer, where the ILF limbs are designed to be balanced out by the archer setting them up......

Believe it or not, the limb bolt adjustments on an ILF rig has very little to do with adjusting draw weight even though you can typically get 3-4# difference from bottomed out, to backing off all the way out. The limb bolt adjustments are there to balance the limbs loads according to the pressure point put on the grip, and find the sweet set in the limbs pre load at brace. Its very rare that you will find mass produced ILF limbs that are really a matched set. There is an art to mapping a set of limbs that goes beyond tiller measurements that a lot of archers don't pay any attention to that can make a significant difference in how that bow shoots.

Mitch Edwards

#7 Post by Mitch Edwards »

Beautiful bow Kirk. I've never owned a static limb recurve but I hear great things about them.

Mohawk

#8 Post by Mohawk »

My gosh you're a bow makin machine! Got some beauties in the background too.

Return to “The Bowyer”