I popped the question/ Pic and review are posted now

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Shadowhntr

Re: I popped the question/ Pic and review are posted now

#151 Post by Shadowhntr »

Longtrad wrote:Dang. That is nice. I haven't seen many bows made of that riser wood I really like that it's so unique. What arrow spine is it liking? Does it seem faster than ur 45 pounders? What's the magic of the grip?

Im glad it all came together for you! This post is giving me the bow bug real bad though :shock:

I think ive seen one other bow with similar riser wood, but it didnt look quite the same. But yea, I think Tiama is a little rare on bows.

I got so darn fortunate.... the wood arrows I had previously been using out of my 45lb Prairie Predators, the Whip loves. I cant use them for hunting though because they are too short. They are 55/60 28" back of point, 300 gr head, and 680 gr. I got a test kit of carbons here while back. So far with 375 gr ends, a full length 500 flies straight as a string. However a full length 600 flys just a little weak with the same head. Note that the 600 full length is 1.5-2 inches shorter then full length 500, 400, 340, from the get go. The 500 full length is a bit heavier then I was shooting for, and the 600 is going to come in just right. Im wanting to reduce my head weight down from 375 to 342, so that I can get around the 625 gr mark, but I need the 42gr adapters before I can tune the arrow on out. With 375 gr, id be around 650gr, and right now im unsure which one I want. I like the strength of the steel adapter over the lighter aluminums, so I have some decisions to make.

Id say pretty much equal to the maddogs in speed. The real difference is in the feel of the grip, quietness, stability....the Whip is on another level. I wish I knew exactly what it was that makes the Whip that much better, but all I can do is try to put it in laymans terms since im pretty much a dummy about building bows. The thing has support right in the very best places, and follows the hand contours so perfectly. Ive never felt a grip that was so comfortable, stabil, and repeatable in placement. Picking up the Prairie Predators now, the grip I can only describe as a bit primitive maybe? No hugging or caressing. With the Toelke, its made to meld right to your hand fitting to the natural hand position, where as the maddog, your hand must adjust to fit it...if that makes sense? Its easier to miss align your hand on the PP, where as its almost impossible on the Toelke. I wish I could explain it better.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#152 Post by Longtrad »

I know what you mean i also struggle with a repeatable grip on my bow. I prefer a recurve style but have not tried one with a locator. those limbs look like they are so much thinner than other bows. How's he get away with that?

Shadowhntr

#153 Post by Shadowhntr »

I dont know Clay. I should do a pic of the limbs and tips in a comparison to the PP we have. I thought my osage PP had about as slim of limbs and tiny tips as id ever been around, about half the size of normal PP, because he misjudged the thickness required since it was his first black walnut limb cores. It came in way heavy poundage and he had to scale everything down. Now even THEY look huge because the Whip tips are half its size.

Longtrad

#154 Post by Longtrad »

That would be really interesting to see

Shadowhntr

#155 Post by Shadowhntr »

Here is some shots comparing the 40lb Toelke on the left to 4 Maddog Prairie Predators, all in the 44-49 pound range. From left to right, @ 28"
Toelke- Bamboo core, 40lb
Maddog 1- Black walnut core, 45lb
Maddog 2- Black walnut core, 47lb
Maddog 3- Red Elm core, 44lb
Maddog 4- Red Elm core, 49lb

Comparison of Maddog 4, with the Toelke whip (Left two) (Maddog 1 on right)

Side angle of same two bows, Toelke left, Maddog 4 right.

Shadowhntr

#156 Post by Shadowhntr »

Im realllllllly getting use to this Toelke. Man its starting to feel like home. Stinking pretty tight grouping already (if I can avoid target panic).....gimme a year with her, and we'll see where she takes me....

Longtrad

#157 Post by Longtrad »

awesome lineup! Thanks for showing, my maddog tips look about like the green bow. I had heard others talk about the tiny tips on toelke bows befor but it's sure interesting to see them stacked up to something else for comparison.

Those limbs look dang thin too. I guess that's the bamboo?

Shadowhntr

#158 Post by Shadowhntr »

I hafta just guess cause I dont really know, but im betting the bamboo has at least some bearing, to its being thin.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#159 Post by Carpdaddy »

I scratched my head on my first glimpse of the side profile thickness. Whether Bamboo or another type wood the lam thickness would be the same. It looks like two thick lams rather than the normal four thin lams on the Maddog. Would be interesting to know how much thicker it actually is if you have a caliper gauge of some kind to measure just at the front of the tip glue on's.

Shadowhntr

#160 Post by Shadowhntr »

I got better then that, somewhere here I have a micrometer. (from my past career as a machinist) I'll see if I can find it and get the measurements.

Return to “The Bowyer”