WING GULL

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those who enjoy the craft of building traditional bows.
Forum rules
No selling of traditional bows you manufactured. Only sponsors are allowed to post new bows for sale.
Roadsnakes

WING GULL

#1 Post by Roadsnakes »

I just purchased a circa 1970 WING GULL. 41# 64" long.

It`s in "Good" shape for a almost 50 year old bow.

BUT

It needs a good polishing.

Other then auto rubbing compound, is there a way to remove the scratches ? Some new or better product then just rubbing compound?

I know a good paste wax will give it a shine, but I want to first get rid of all the scratches.

I was thinking of try this............

'http://www.flitzusa.com/

Shadowhntr

Re: WING GULL

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

Welcome aboard! Im not sure anything will completely remove the scratches, except refinishing it. We have some bowyers on here, maybe they can shed a little more light on this...
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Big Foot

#3 Post by Big Foot »

Refinishing is a big project to do it right.... but you might try polishing it with 00 steel wool, then 000 , then 0000 steel wool. that will take most of the fine scratches out.....Then use Rubbing compound is for the finish polish after wet sanding with 600, 800, & 1200 grit . this stuff removes scratches up to 1200 grit if you want a high gloss finish....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-Mi ... FVvyY79KVA

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Welcome! Flitz is a polish, it won't work for removing scratches. Follow Big Foot's advice as he is a professional bowyer.
Aim small, miss small!

Roadsnakes

#5 Post by Roadsnakes »

Thanks for the input.

Should the Meguiar`s product be used after the steel wool and wet sanding , or should go right with the Meguiar`s and see how that works first.

Roadsnakes

#6 Post by Roadsnakes »

THIS product looks promising too. I say this because I`ve been very pleased with the results from Nu Finish car polish over the years. Even that works great on removing fine scratches and swirls on cars.
'
http://www.nufinish.com/products/scratch-remover

Roadsnakes

#7 Post by Roadsnakes »

Although my 50 year old Wing could have used a complete refinishing, I went with just numerous polishings.

I started with Formula 1 Scratch Remover. I`m sure any other brand would have worked just fine, but the Formula 1 was just $2.75!!

I polished the bow at least 4 times, each polishing taking about an hour. I went inch by inch , in circular motions, applying as much pressure as I possible could have!

Then, I did 2-3 waxing`s with Johnson`s Paste Wax.(which I had on hand)

So, for a grand total of $2.75 and some elbow grease, here`s my 50 year old Wing Gull...........
'
'
'

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
'Image
'
'

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
'
'
'
'

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************
'

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Wow...looks great! Nice work at a minimal cost!
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#9 Post by Longtrad »

Looks like a gem to me! reminds me a lot of my grizzly too

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Nicely done sir!!!!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “The Bowyer”