Recycling a Turkey to make it fly again

How to's, questions and build alongs for those who make or want to make their own gear made from leather. Get some tips on how you can make your own quiver, arm guard, etc. to go along with your Custom Traditional Bow.
Forum rules
No selling of leather goods unless you are a sponsor.
Ron Kulas

Recycling a Turkey to make it fly again

#1 Post by Ron Kulas »

While I enjoy compound bows and modern bowhunting, my first love is primitive bowhunting. Im a DIY'r and would rather make all my own gear than purchase it. I think this way of going about bowhunting is seeing a resurgence and for that I am glad. Sadly there are not a lot of mentors and fear of failure in many cases keeps people from trying something new. I enjoy passing along what I have learned in nearly 40 years of bowhunting. There may be a guy out there that has the desire to go traditional or even primitive but fears the unknown or doesn't know where to start.

Lets start with the feathers.

I enjoy making my own arrows. Ive been making them for as long as I have been hunting. I started with cedar, then aluminums and now carbons. While I enjoy compounds and recurves,, I also make my own longbows and my own broadheads to hunt with. I took a few pictures of the last batch of feather I am working on. This not the ONLY way to make arrows. Its just one way. There is more than one way to skin a cat and while I love cats, I can’t eat a whole one by myself but I digress.

We save the wings from the birds we kill so we can make them fly again.

I like to use the primary feathers but I also use the secondary feathers if they seem fitting for the purpose.

I trim away both ends that are less than useful.

Turkeys are dirty, smelly, oily birds so the feathers need a bath in warm soapy water

Even though this turkey died once, Its gonna get dyed again. This time red but sometimes green or yellow, etc. I use RIT dye, really hot water and a little vinegar.

After a rinse and air drying.

Lots of folks use a razor knife to split their feathers and I have done it that way for years but I find a 14 tooth very thin bandsaw blade offers more control and is a bit easier/safer.

I fabricated a holder that allows me to grind/sand the base and sides of the feathers. Nothing fancy but it works.

Then a trip on the drill press against a sanding drum with a wood spacer slightly larger in Diameter than the drum to allow for consistent spacing.

I don’t chop my feather although that is a perfectly fine method to employ. I tend to burn my feathers either in advance of fletching using a simple clamp I made from office supplies and a red hot wire.

Or I burn them after fletching (also using a hot wire)

I like to dip and crest my cedars in colors that match the feathers.

I have a few fletching jigs that date back pretty far but for a bit more helical I use this newer Bohning jig.

Here is another batch.

Couple that with a homemade broadhead and it makes for one very satisfying way to pass the time and a way to increase the level of satisfaction and accomplishment when you take game with a homemade bow and homemade arrows that are tipped with homemade heads.
The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Recycling a Turkey to make it fly again

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Great looking arrows; the dye really adds s nice touch. Every arrow I have has Turkey feathers, cane, wood, or carbon. My Turkey hunting buddies keep me stocked up.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I have read about the dying method but never tried it. I do mark the white part of the cock feather with a permanent marker, but will have to start dying some now, see what you've done! :lol:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

This is my fancy clamp... (Don't lust after my table)

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

I use a store bought chopper..

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

Thanks for sharing even though I will be forced to do the dye now! You got me wanting to see your homemade hunting clothing.

Kybownut

#7 Post by Kybownut »

Great tutorial ron, you and carpdaddy make me envious of your talents. I really like you're feather shaping jig. I knew a guy that used a train set transformer for his
Burner and shaper combined, worked pretty well for him

Ron Kulas

#8 Post by Ron Kulas »

Carpdaddy wrote:Thanks for sharing even though I will be forced to do the dye now! You got me wanting to see your homemade hunting clothing.
your going to want to be careful how much you encourage me. I think I could crash this site with my pictures and build-alongs. :lol:
The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

Stay Sharp wrote:
Carpdaddy wrote:Thanks for sharing even though I will be forced to do the dye now! You got me wanting to see your homemade hunting clothing.
your going to want to be careful how much you encourage me. I think I could crash this site with my pictures and build-alongs. :lol:
I have already tried Staysharp, done three bows on here, a feather build along, and a string build. Keep them coming, would love to see your entire get up, bows and clothing especially!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

Awesome thread! I have two turkey wing drying in the basement and you've just given me the encouragement to go for it. I really appreciate the pictures and homespun budget wisdom. Thanks for posting! Keep it up!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Leather Crafting”