Made a new flint wallet

How to's, questions and build alongs for those who make or want to make their own gear made from leather. Get some tips on how you can make your own quiver, arm guard, etc. to go along with your Custom Traditional Bow.
Forum rules
No selling of leather goods unless you are a sponsor.
dhaverstick

Made a new flint wallet

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

My old flint wallet was getting pretty worn so I finally got around to making myself a new one. It is a vast improvement over its predecessor in both looks and function. I made this one out of deer hide and put dyed ring lizard inlays on it. I used rare earth magnets for the clasping mechanism and sewed it all up by hand using artificial sinew. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and will be heading to the woods with it this weekend to kill some more squirrels.

Darren

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Made a new flint wallet

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

You just go all out, plum fancy there, I like it.

Ron Kulas

#3 Post by Ron Kulas »

Very cool.
The Joy is in the doing.

Kybownut

#4 Post by Kybownut »

Great job David. I enjoyed the article SMOKE POLE SQUIRRELS you wrote.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Nice job, Darren! I assume you are reaching out and touching them with a small caliber flinter 'squirrel rifle'?
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

#6 Post by dhaverstick »

Thanks, Johnny, I appreciate that. That's the first piece I ever sold where I had a photo shoot with a professional photographer. I've got a pretty funny story about that and if I ever see you in person, remind me to tell it to you. I have another article coming out in that magazine in 2017 about building kid bows out of PVC pipe.

Kirk, even with a small caliber rifle, like a .32 or .36, I would tear up too much meat because I'm not good enough to make a head shot every time. No, I use these two smoothbores and #6 shot. The long gun is a 12 gauge and the pistol is a 20 gauge. Both were made for me by my good friend, John Pruitt, in Spring City, TN.

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

VERY cool! As admin of three black powder forums I must say I approve!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Leather Crafting”