A little something for spring turkey season

How to's, questions and build alongs for those who make or want to make their own gear made from leather. Get some tips on how you can make your own quiver, arm guard, etc. to go along with your Custom Traditional Bow.
Forum rules
No selling of leather goods unless you are a sponsor.
dhaverstick

A little something for spring turkey season

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

As an auction item at the upcoming United Bowhunters of Missouri Festival, I am donating this pot call holster along with a ceramic-over-slate pot call and two strikers. The call was made by a friend of mine, Vince Crawford, of VECtor Custom Calls.

The holster is made with a vegetable tanned cowhide frame and is covered with ostrich skin. The trim is deer and I sewed everything by hand with artificial sinew. Vince asked me where I got the ostrich skin and I told him I called the bird up using one of his calls, smothered it with a pillow and then tanned the hide.

I've got a box call coming this week made by Charlie Miller that I will make a holster for and donate as well.

Darren

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: A little something for spring turkey season

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Great work as always Darren, you certainly have mastered this skill. The smothered Ostrich may not appreciate the appearance though. I am curious as to where you come up with Ostrich, Carp, or other tanned hides. Do you tan or purchase them?

dhaverstick

#3 Post by dhaverstick »

I purchase all my leather from various sources. I am fortunate to work in Springfield, MO which is home to Springfield Leather Company; one of the largest leather suppliers in the country. I got my ostrich from them. I buy all my bison leather from The Hide House in Napa, CA and get deer from them sometimes too. There are several good dealers on Ebay that I buy from as well.

I NEVER buy from Tandy as their stuff is way overpriced and their selection leaves a lot to be desired.

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Poor ostrich. He was so scared he got goose bumps... :lol:
Nice work, as usual Darren!
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

That's funny Captain, I wondered about that when I first looked but then I read it was from a big feathered bird. Sure gives it a unique look.

Longtrad

#6 Post by Longtrad »

very nice! that should be one rugged holster

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Beautiful piece!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Leather Crafting”