"apache style" shooting tab from buffalo hide

How to's, questions and build alongs for those who make or want to make their own gear made from leather. Get some tips on how you can make your own quiver, arm guard, etc. to go along with your Custom Traditional Bow.
Forum rules
No selling of leather goods unless you are a sponsor.
wandering monk

"apache style" shooting tab from buffalo hide

#1 Post by wandering monk »

I was working on some items for shooting and decided to try out a new shooting tab from some buffalo hide I had...I used to manage a buffalo ranch in Colorado, so Buffalo meat and hides were sort of a perc working there..

Buffalo leather is reknowned for its durability, its the leather used in the loop on any good quality lariat used for roping since its so darn durable.

I shoot three fingers under...my old tabs are starting to show some wear and tear, so I decided to try a "fur on" with some of the buff I have...I took a piece of a tanned hide from the under belly area, with shorter fur.

I traced out my size tab, actually I made up several to give to some friends or my Son etc...the fur changes direction, which should be noticed so the tab works the way I wanted to...(folding away from the string)

here are a few pics of the project...since this hide is so thick I did not have to double it up at all like I do with tabs from Elk or Deer...its soft & supple, yet very thick...

laying out the tabs with the fur direction...

a sharp exacto is all thats needed...

some tabs have a little flap on them on the rear of the opening for your finger...I like them open...plus I have some big fingers and hands...this is something that you have to play with to get the custom fit...

ready to shoot!

some of the nicest people I ever knew...I had about 75 I cared for...last season I had 5 calves over 500 lbs...something I was very proud of...they were sold at the stock show in Denver...

I always said they only had one bad day in their life!!!
ted ...wandering monk/trout bum
public land pope & young
public water 20"er

www.wmflyrodco.com

bronco2

Re: "apache style" shooting tab from buffalo hide

#2 Post by bronco2 »

great looking shooting tab you made. thank you for sharing the pictures and your project with all of us..thanks, denny

Return to “Leather Crafting”