Coyote bait, a hunters nightmare

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Ole Dave

Re: Coyote bait, a hunters nightmare

#16 Post by Ole Dave »

Won't help much, but I'll share this. When I Lived in MT, guys would say, "Show me a man who never been bucked off a horse, and I'ls how you a man who ain't rid horses much!"

I think there is a parallel.

Yes, we MUST develop discipline to take only the higher percentage shots, but if you rode enough/hunted enough, you WILL get bucked off!

Why? Quien Sabe. Every person is different. Every situation is different.

For me, with a firearm in my hands, I don't get too shook up... cause I know the odds are in my favor, but with a bow...there is constant pressure! Archery is a game of INCHES! An inch this or that way and it deflects or hits a rib or, or, or...

A deer can be standing RIGHT THERE and I'm still not sure at the moment of release something might not go awry! That builds pressure...

We do what we can to recover, then replay, assess and make choices to not allow certain factors to intrude...you'll find which ones are relevant to YOU from this scenario!

NOTHING in nature goes to waste...it's all part of the cycle of life....and death!
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

TristanMclovinreso

#17 Post by TristanMclovinreso »

Shadowhntr wrote:Haha! I wish I had that all completely figured out Tony! I've screwed up some of the easiest shots in the world. Things that are almost too embarrassing to talk about, if it were not so dad gummed funny! Isnt it funny, how when we are hiking, fishing, everyday life, etc,,, we can see and get close to deer, and we feel calm cool and collect, and just enjoy the sight? Add a bow and arrow to our hands, place a deer close by, and watch us go to pieces instantly ! Its so aggrevating, when you know you can tear the center out of a target at 15 yards every day of the week, arrow after arrow for hundreds of shots.... then shoot at a 12 yard deer, and shoot too high, low, forward, back...

Adding a deer to the equation, really test our mental toughness, and especially self discipline. The only answer I have for this very difficult situation, is to practice over and over on living deer and real world shots, and no matter how we feel from adrenaline and excitement , force ourselves to take the exact steps we take while in front of the target with some custom strings. From beginning to end, it has to be the same. Its an easy concept that is very difficult to perform. But, the more you try to force yourself to do the right things and do those steps with each deer, the easier it gets to put it all together.

I always compare it, likened together with big cats hunting, as I see them as the ultimate predators. The young try and try, with little success at first. As they continue growing and trying for prey, they learn what not to do from failures, and put the things done right, into the memory bank. They make a lot of mistakes on the way, like flat missing on many good opportunities, or they try to make an opportunity from a no opportunity situation, they jump the gun and attack too early or too late, they'll wound some animals that end up getting away..... but eventually, their failures and empty tummys lead them on, to making fewer and fewer mistakes, until finally they are as efficient as any cat can be. Im certain watching them, they have adrenaline pumping, driving them to make all them mistakes, but eventually through practice on living animals, scraping bad decisions and keeping the good ones, they channel that adrenaline, keeping it controlled through nothing more then self discipline only gained by failures, and finally allowing that adrenaline to sharpen their abilities instead of hindering them.
Agreed.

Shadowhntr

#18 Post by Shadowhntr »

Welcome aboard Tristan!!!! Jump right in, and make yourself at home! Maybe you could tell us a bit about yourself on the new members thread, or even on one you can start yourself,,,,, either way would be great! Glad to have you!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#19 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote:Welcome aboard Tristan!!!! Jump right in, and make yourself at home! Maybe you could tell us a bit about yourself on the new members thread, or even on one you can start yourself,,,,, either way would be great! Glad to have you!
Ditto! A warm welcome to TH! :mrgreen:
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”