Buck of a lifetime encounter!

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Buck of a lifetime encounter!

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

It finally happened, the opportunity I have been looking for all season, and when it happened I wasn't looking for it!! I have been out every morning this week waiting for the rut to begin and to get the big boys moving. I have endured two days of having does all around me while I wrestled with the urge to shoot one, but I held on! Had a small buck Monday come in that would look good at the end of season, but I know there are big bucks in this area. This morning was non eventful for the most part other than the squirrels stoning me with those big chestnut oak acorns. About 9:45 I was eyeballing a hawk that had landed in front of me and was being harassed by a crow. It rained here last night so the ground was wet and what I didn't know was that while I was admiring the hawk the biggest buck I have ever seen alive was quickly and silently approaching! Imagine my shock when the hawk flew and I turned to my right and saw a monster within 25 yards and coming at a fast walk right at my tree. I was still sitting and his head was up scanning. I never moved but he did, at about 20-22 yards he saw something was out of place, he stopped, sniffed, and looked me up and down until he decided that he had had enough. He didn't know what I was but knew I didn't belong there, he quickly turned and went back the way he came. I stood as he turned but never had a chance to draw. Talk about a fellow feeling heartsick!! Oh my! That thing was unbelievable big!

Shadowhntr

Re: Buck of a lifetime encounter!

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

8, 10,....get a point count? Thats exciting!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

Think he will come back around to give you another chance? I hope you get him.

Ole Dave

#4 Post by Ole Dave »

I'm no big buck killer cause I never had them around me, or I am not patient enough...

But, from my limited experiences with other deer, I'd move that stand... seems to me once they've been alerted to something out of place, they tend to shy from it just enough...

I watched a bunch of different deer who'd picked off a stand move just 50 yards off in their route to avoid that spot often enough to convince me to move... course, you never know which way they'll move, so it can be another round of Chess!
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Once I saw he was wider than the average, way out beyond the ears and sides, I started looking for the tick. I try not to hunt nothing but the tick or spot I want to shoot, one glance said he was huge so no more looking at antlers! Possibly the one I got a video of back when he was in velvet and still growing, same area anyhow.

Mohawk

#6 Post by Mohawk »

Dang, hope you end up with him! I'd like to see some post mortem pics of him!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

Also very close to the place I got this ones picture.
And this one...

Mohawk

#8 Post by Mohawk »

What a hog! I would maybe have to let fly at him. :shock: :lol:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

As far as my stand location I was using my climber and this week was my first time to climb in that place, I will move trees but not far away. Hope to return Friday and sit long as possible physically for me. This tree was new to me and I was only able to climb 16ft according to my marked rope due to it forked, but it's the best tree there.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

He stood right to the left side of the log in this picture, I took a picture and took a practice shot before coming down.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”