Bowhunting Montana Bitteroot valley out of Stevensville

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Ron Kulas

Bowhunting Montana Bitteroot valley out of Stevensville

#1 Post by Ron Kulas »

Im contemplating bowhunting the Bitteroot river valley out of Stevensville Montana in 2017. Ive never been there before but have relation that wants us to visit so thought I would couple it with an archery hunt.

Im clueless about the area and the regs so I have more questions than I can list and Im sure the list of questions will grow. Im really only interested in archery and deer but understand you have combination tags. I don't know what non-resident fees are so Im hoping somebody can educate me on that and on over the counter tag availability, and every other thing I would need to know. (like are there archery only areas near Stevensville and what is the public land situation and what is the likelihood I would be able to find private land to hunt)

Are there any deadlines I need to know about? What sort of non-res fees am I looking at? Did you settle the lighted nock issue yet?
The Joy is in the doing.

Tradman

Re: Bowhunting Montana Bitteroot valley out of Stevensville

#2 Post by Tradman »

Google search montana dept of fish and wildlife hunting regs then search through the species/areas you want to hunt.Should tell you everything you need to know.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

Wow Ron.....id like to stow away in your truck somewhere for that trip!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

Sounds like a good time but I'm not familiar with that area at all. And before you hide in his truck Jason you better remember its track record. :lol: :lol:

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

.....the BACK of the truck....like WAY in the back.....lol!.. :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote:Sounds like a good time but I'm not familiar with that area at all. And before you hide in his truck Jason you better remember its track record. :lol: :lol:
I don't think there's a safe spot in that truck, Jase. Heck, that deer tried to broadside him.
Aim small, miss small!

Jamesh76

#7 Post by Jamesh76 »

I have hunted just south of there near Darby for elk. I know that some of the areas for mule deer are draw and only like 150 given. we were in the mountains just east of daby near lookout mountain and bobcat saddle. my elk tag was around $850 over the counter. saw 200-300 elk. Mule deer were plentiful I'm the mountains also. no experiance though with the river valleys. but I k own all the white tail we seen were down low. I have some pics, but site says they are too big

Jamesh76

#8 Post by Jamesh76 »

public hunting is plentiful. but be careful and make sure you know where you are because regulations vary from zone to zone. as mentioned check their site. http://fwp.mt.gov/ for deer your looking at 500 for a nr tag, plus hunting license and we had to have a archery permit also. I took bow hunters safety prior to going on that hunt. I don't think its required if you have hunted big game in another state. but more and more states are requiring it.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”