Is anyone else fed up with public hunting?

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Shadowhntr

Re: Is anyone else fed up with public hunting?

#11 Post by Shadowhntr »

Shootalot wrote:Thanks for the welcome guys. Good to be here.
Hey! Welcome Gordon!!!! Im thrilled you made it over here! Make yourself right at home. :D
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#12 Post by Captainkirk »

More stupid rules:

Feeding Wildlife
It is unlawful to make available food, salt,
mineral blocks or other products for ingestion
by wild deer or other wildlife in areas where
wild deer are present at any time.

Translation: If you are caught shooting a deer over acorns ("make available?") you could, in theory, be busted.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#13 Post by Carpdaddy »

Don't think hunting under an acorn tree would count Kirk, you just can't carry bait in. Baiting is illegal in many Places. I certainly don't agree with all their rules but to me it's worth the aggravation to have a place to hunt. If they barefooted hunting only I would miss my boots but still hunt! Somebody's gotta do it.

Shadowhntr

#14 Post by Shadowhntr »

Agreed Tony. Kirk, You aren't making acorns available, they are there even without you ever being there....thus its not being made available by you.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#15 Post by Captainkirk »

OK, maybe I was going a little overboard with the acorns...but if you think about it, shooting a cornfield buck over a pile of spilled corn could be construed as "hunting over bait".
This is not a knock on public hunting, but rather a rather disappointing look at what hunting has become due to urban encroachment.
To be a successful hunter around these parts you have to be mobile, flexible and ultra-light (walk-in, hunt, pack out) and willing to move if someone else bungles through your chosen area. But if that's the game I have to play, guess I better psych myself up for next year and plan on early scouting, mapping and pre-season sign mapping because it ain't gonna get any better, boys.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#16 Post by Shadowhntr »

I suppose the corn thing could possibly be an issue, even though it wouldn't stick. It wouldn't be to hard to prove you are not the farmer that spilled it. Again, the spilled corn would hypothetically be there whether you go hunting or not, making you not liable for making it "available bait". They would have to go after the farmer, not you...they wont do that.

You are correct, nothing is going to be better next year, or probably for the rest of your life. The key is, figuring out the best possible way to deal with it. Sounds like you have the right idea to begin. Just remember, the very best time to scout, is right after all deer seasons close. That way the timber is dead and easy to see, exactly what the deer done in fall rut and winter patterns. If you wait until its warm, too often you will not be able to see fall/winter movement sign, and will end up on summer patterns.

Longtrad

#17 Post by Longtrad »

You are not allowed to bait in colorado but there are loopholes, especially if you are a livestock man. You can just put your salt block or feed out in a pasture, say its for cattle (I would assume you would need at least 1 cow actually in the pasture) and then hunt off of it. There is one old dude that has a tree stand in his stock tank windmill, salt blocks and all right by the water and right under his stand! Smart feller.

Longtrad

#18 Post by Longtrad »

In the 80's there was a big goose hunting spot known as turks pond. The owner would "bait" by making sure his corn cart was always over full and the track he took his corn truck on was always a really rough ride :) He also kept a few pigs to help scatter the grains.

He had so many geese that would migrate over that pond, they say people would fly in from all over the country just to hunt birds there.

Certainly not the case any, the pond went dry for many years and the geese no longer fly over us in such number.

That was a different time though, I hope no one takes my remarks as a promotion of illegal hunting methods.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”