Post-season activities?

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Longtrad

Re: Post-season activities?

#16 Post by Longtrad »

Sounds like you have some good days ahead of you Bill.

I also should add aside from bow business I hope to do a good amount of largemouth bass fishing, when those are picking up I like to go after the bluegill and crappie.

I have an old 14 foot john boat and a small lake about 25 minutes from town that my buddy and I like to go out to and see who can catch the biggest bass, we always end some of the best memories are made in that little john boat.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

Roadking wrote:Everyones plans sound great, being a newbie,

Continue to enjoy shooting and work on form with consistency
Tune, crest and fletch my owns arrows
Shoot min 3 days a week
Turkey hunt for the 1st time and try it with my Centaur
Do one 3d shoot per month until October
Of course take as many trips on my bikes as weather permits. May pack the tent and bow on the bike and try to attend Denton Hill
Spend time with family and friends, introduce my son to traditional archery.
Great plans! Especially the part about your son. How old is he?
Aim small, miss small!

Roadking

#18 Post by Roadking »

Kirk my son is 23. Got him out when he was 6. He loves being in the woods and watching me hunt, but does not wish to harvest an animal. He enjoys shooting both guns and bows (compound for now) but hasn't gone for the kill. He enjoys watching me and hanging with my good friends at deer camp and looks forward to it every year. Just no harvesting yet. He's been seeing how much of a kick I have shooting the long bow and has tried a few times himself. He and I are heading to Kalamazoo this weekend for the Trad show, we"ll see if he gets the bug.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#19 Post by Captainkirk »

That's great, Bill! My youngest is 27 now, got him out in the field with a bow when he was 14. He's harvested a good number of deer, albeit with a gun but is big-time into wheelie bow hunting although he shoots a Kodiak Hunter on occasion. I'm workin' on him slowly..
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#20 Post by Shadowhntr »

I am one of the Blessed, and fortunate few, to have both my sons going full on in trad archery. I dont take that for granted either. Either one at any point could have turned away, or not been interested, It happens all the time. So yeah, I feel very lucky.

My bet is, both you fellas will have trad archery carried on by your sons. If there is an interest in archery, and the comradery portion that goes with it....its just a matter of time before they set their mind to the challenge.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#21 Post by Captainkirk »

My son has yet to harvest a deer with a bow, Jase. He has hunted, and hunted hard, for about 5 years waiting for that magic kill. He believes technology improves the odds, and while it does to some extent, I know if he ever stuck one with a trad bow he'd be hooked forever. So, I keep working him...
Aim small, miss small!

Roadking

#22 Post by Roadking »

It seems like we are blessed guys. One way or another our sons have picked up on our love and respect for the woods, nature and the sport. Whether shooting targets or animals we are still passing on an important heritage them, you should all be proud! I'm sure they are all fine young men. Even though my son at this point doesn't wish to harvest game he loves the scouting, strategizing the tree and ground blind setups and loves a good late night blood trail and damn good at lol. He enjoys holding the camera, we got a few on tape when he was much younger for the gun seasons, but haven't videoed a bow kill, YET! For me it's just great having him along.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

Bill, you don't have to harvest game to love hunting, the outdoors or archery.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#24 Post by Carpdaddy »

I was deeply hooked on hunting long before I ever harvested an animal. The memories of following my dad through the woods while he hunted squirrel have stuck with me all my life. Those times are special and I am trying to share the same memories with my grandchildren now. Sometimes while sitting in the woods deer hunting and a squirrel comes by I am flooded with memories of my dad. I glad he didn't mind a noisy little hyper boy following him through the woods or asking questions while he tried to fish.

Roadking

#25 Post by Roadking »

Kirk I agree!! This year was my 1st year Trad hunting for deer I was 0-5. My hunting partner felt bad for me and I told him don't, it was one of the best season's I had. I saw a lot of great things, time with my son and a few good quality relaxing wood naps lol. For me it's always been a time to unwind and recharge, a harvest is a bonus. Then of course chops, sausage and peppy sticks for the friends and family. Seeing everyone enjoy really give me a kick.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”