Post-season activities?

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Post-season activities?

#31 Post by Carpdaddy »

Okay; here's you one from ground level, a little downhill grade only.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#32 Post by Captainkirk »

That's more like it!
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#33 Post by Carpdaddy »

Roadking

#34 Post by Roadking »

Kirk nice pics! I do about 95% from the ground and get up about 3-5 times a season. 1 of the 5 misses this past year was from a tree as well lol. You're right a bit harder to cover scent etc.. I do feel however, hmmm maybe I'm missing a few the may be sneaking around behind the blind. Maybe I need to set up some "side view mirrors"

Roadking

#35 Post by Roadking »

Sorry meant "Tony" nice pics. Hey I'm still new here getting to know all ya , ooops

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#36 Post by Captainkirk »

The pix are from Tony. I'm in charge of the BS.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#37 Post by Shadowhntr »

Great pics Tony. I like both ground and trees. Problem around here, is where I really like to hunt is very close to bedding areas, and its normally so brushy that there are few suitable trees for a tree stand. Sure, ladders would be great, but on public ground isnt a very good option....so that leaves me on the ground at least 50% of the time. However, Ive learned to set up, without using blinds, and use the natural occuring blow downs or the such to conceal myself. It also seems to make a big difference of what sex deer im setting up on, as most bucks are quite a bit easier for me to pull off going unnoticed, compared to an old doe or group of doe especially.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#38 Post by Captainkirk »

Actually, on PHL I've found "ground" to be a better option. There are no restrictions on height, screw in steps, and time allowable for stands to go up, come down, and remain in the tree. Plus, you're not stuck or confined to one area.
Aim small, miss small!

47909Hunter

#39 Post by 47909Hunter »

Captainkirk wrote:Actually, on PHL I've found "ground" to be a better option. There are no restrictions on height, screw in steps, and time allowable for stands to go up, come down, and remain in the tree. Plus, you're not stuck or confined to one area.
I'm glad to hear hunting from the ground is viable and enjoyed by others. Due to heights-fear I'm "stuck" on the ground.

(And I've only got access to public land anyway.)
Traditional #1: Flatline Hypertension, 66", 48@28, Ash and Yew (#12017)
Traditional #2: Flatline Hypertension, 66", 42@28, Bocote and Wenge (#112017)
Compound: 2016 Defiant 30, Black Gold Ascent, 10" Bee Stinger Pro Hunter Maxxxxxxxx, QAD Ultra, Etc

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#40 Post by Captainkirk »

47909Hunter wrote:
Captainkirk wrote:Actually, on PHL I've found "ground" to be a better option. There are no restrictions on height, screw in steps, and time allowable for stands to go up, come down, and remain in the tree. Plus, you're not stuck or confined to one area.
I'm glad to hear hunting from the ground is viable and enjoyed by others. Due to heights-fear I'm "stuck" on the ground.

(And I've only got access to public land anyway.)
I don't have an actual "fear" of heights, but I'm not comfortable moving around much. It really cramps my style, thus my comfort level. On the ground I feel completely natural.
It's not so bad when gun hunting, but bowhunting can sometimes involve a lot of theatrics and monkey-motion.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”