Spring Turkey season 2017

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Longtrad

Spring Turkey season 2017

#1 Post by Longtrad »

Who all is going turkey hunting this spring? Where are you going hunting? What kind of tricks do you have in store for those gobblers?

I'm getting pretty excited myself, I'm hoping to be drawn to hunt on a small section of state wildlife land, but if that falls through I will be hunting them in the canyons along the Colorado/Oklahoma border area.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Spring Turkey season 2017

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Not something I have gotten into yet other than a playing but thinking I might try a little this spring. If I do it will be from a ground blind most likely.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

I am thinking about it. Haven't even checked the regs yet for info, and may run into the same PHL issues I did with deer.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

The good thing about people on public, and turkey hunting. ...is they cant smell a lick, so unless someone bumps the bird from movement, they can sit up wind and never bother you. The drawback, is turkeys are vocal and there may be 2-3 guys moving in on a morning hunt approaching the same bird. I always pick a fringe bird, that isnt the loudest mouth there, but still gobbling. Let those other guys fight over the loud mouth. Its always either the luckiest guy, or the one that knows the birds the best that makes the kill anyway. Ive out competed a good number of guys on the same bird as I, listened to them calling their brains out, and directly I kill the bird with just uttering a few soft calls.....only because I knew the bird, and knew I had the position to kill him, even though at times i might be the farthest from the bird. Like always, knowledge of the bird trumps everything, except maybe dumb stupid luck.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#5 Post by Longtrad »

I am lucky in that I have enough good spots to not have to worry much about other people. The public land I am trying to draw for only lets like 10 tags out so wont have to worry much about that if I get lucky enough to draw, otherwise I'll just go out to the canyons there are nice public land spots down there as well as ranches I have permission to hunt on. Those other hunter get me too riled up, I have to avoid them to enjoy myself.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

A lot of my friends hunt them but not many of them with a stickbow, maybe Steve will get on here and tell us why. :lol: :lol: :oops:
I wouldn't want to hunt them any other way personally but that's just me.

Longtrad

#7 Post by Longtrad »

Here is good ol two buttes mountain (more like a big hill), which is right next wildlife area I hope to get the turkey tag on.

The scattergun will no doubt net you more birds but the bow is so much more fun to me, I don't think I would want to ditch my bow either CD

Longtrad

#8 Post by Longtrad »

I hope the birds like the gift I got for them

what about you guys what kind of BH do you have in store for the gobblers?

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

That's a serious looking broadhead! I will need one at least 12" wide in all directions.

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Nice looking spot Clay. Do you have sub-species "Rio Grande", or "Merriams"?

For broadheads (and arrows) on traditional bow hunted turkey, I use pretty much the same set up as I would with deer, only I swap out my grizzly/tuff heads with STOS dbl bevel. Its the opinion of more then a few, that turkey are actually fairly tough and hard-ish to penetrate. Id say if you are reasonably comfortable with the set up for use on deer, you are going to do fine on the thunder chickens.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”