Got My Bird!!

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Jose

Got My Bird!!

#1 Post by Jose »

I was very excited about the 2017 turkey season. I just purchased my Dave Smith Strutting Tom decoy and added the finishing touches with real wings, beard and fan. I set up the blinds several weeks ago and made shooting lanes. It was slow the first few days, probably because of weather. I saw a few but nothing in range. Yesterday i set up the decoys before daylight with the tom decoy ten yards from the blind. I got nestled in and awaited the sunrise. Usually I hear gobbles but yesterday.....nothing. I couldn't believe I was not hearing any gobbles, at least in the distance, but nothing. I would call every once in a while and still did not hear a peep. At around 10:00 a.m. I thought about packing it up when suddenly to my left at about 30 yards I heard a gobble. I looked over to see a tom full strut. He saw my hen decoy but had not seen the strutting decoy. Then he gobbled again. I made several soft purrs and he began moving out into the field. As he cleared the wood line he saw my strutting tom. He immediately picked up the pace and headed in......... the rest is here! https://youtu.be/vSCm0Gkqyis

When I cut up the bird I discovered that the second arrow did not hit any vitals. The first one did the trick and actually went all the way through the chest and broke through the breast. I could not believe he acted like he did since he was lethally shot. The string tracker worked GREAT!

Shadowhntr

Re: Got My Bird!!

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

How the heck can you get them dang birds in to the decoys consistent like that?
They totally ignore mine!

Are you shooting through mesh?

Are you using one of Chads string trackers?

Tremendous job again this season Jose and congratulations!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Wow oh wow! Awesome video Jose. Congratulations again!

Jose

#4 Post by Jose »

Thanks guys! Jason, I did not have good luck with decoys either until I spent a little more and got realistic ones. Made a HUGE difference for me. (Don't blame me though if you spend Mama's money and they don't work... :lol: ) Here is a closer picture of my new Tom decoy.
2017-04-29-23-16-36-513x288.jpg
2017-04-29-23-16-36-513x288.jpg (55.07 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Yes, I shoot through the mesh of my blinds. I don't notice any flight issues.

Yes, it is one of Chad's string trackers. Bought it a couple years ago.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Looks like something mounted that you would have in your den. If I had that it would probably have arrows sticking around it where I shot at it and missed.
Thanks for sharing that video and story.

Jose

#6 Post by Jose »

Carpdaddy wrote:Looks like something mounted that you would have in your den. If I had that it would probably have arrows sticking around it where I shot at it and missed.
Thanks for sharing that video and story.

You gave me a great idea! Instead of disassembleing it maybe I can just set it in the living room on a stump..... :lol:

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

What decoy is that Jose?

What hen dec are you using?

Jose

#8 Post by Jose »

Shadowhntr wrote:What decoy is that Jose?

What hen dec are you using?
They are both Dave Smith Decoys or "DSD". The Tom is called the "Strutter Turkey" and the hen is the "Upright Hen". Both are VERY realistic. The Strutter needs a real fan and beard added. It also allows for real wings to be mounted on each side which I chose to add. Got my turkey parts from a road kill which the DNR allowed me to take.

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

Thanks Jose.... I should be able to get the extra hardware before I get the decs! Really appreiate the info! You are my idol! Lol!

Longtrad

#10 Post by Longtrad »

Congrats on the bird!!

wow that decoy looks real, I wouldnt be surprised if someone tries to sneak up and blast it :lol: :lol:

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”