Hunting Goals or plans for 2017

Tell us your Traditional Bow Hunting experiences
Forum rules
Discuss all aspects of the hunt.
Shadowhntr

Hunting Goals or plans for 2017

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

If there is a thread already started like this please direct to it. Sorry if this is duplicated.

Im not really a goal setter. To often I personally feel goals create undo pressure, and are often discouraging if not met, especially for newer Bowmen. Goals can work for folks obviously, but not for me. As far as hunting and goals go, too many variables enter in to hold ones self tightly to the reins of goals....things out of our control.
Call it stupid, but I have to think of it in terms of planning. Plans can change as events unfold. As events unfold that can make the old plan useless or even impossible. Hunting changes so rapidly at times, goals can end up seeming to be just a higher level plan that is meant to be broken.

That being said, my plans of hunting are revolving around whitetail as is the case with me most years. Normally I'd be thinking of getting 2 or 3 deer in the freezer. This year is different though. #1, there is only three of us eating now instead of four. #2, with that being the case we dont eat enough deer to justify taking 2 or 3 deer, esp since I'm scrambling to get a good amount gone before I begin hunting again. Been making LOTS of jerky...which is great, but it does hit a point of enough. I've still got a few packages left from 2015 season. Plus this year I added a nice fresh pork to the mix.
I'm aware of hunting programs that provide meat for people...and there are those that might take free processed venison. However I have certain restraints that keeps me from doing those things that I won't get in to.
So, I'm planning on Wyatt taking a deer, and he just may get 2. If he does, that makes it a bit easier for me to just go and watch animals, and to be super selective in what, or IF I even shoot. So my plans are pretty relaxed. If Wyatt has trouble connecting, things may go differently for me, but it looks like for now I'm hunting very selectively, with a very good chance of not dropping a string all season. I consider it homework for following seasons, when Wyatt is filling his own freezer.

What are your goals or plans, or do you have any?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Hunting Goals or plans for 2017

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

"If its brown its down", Just kidding on that, that was back when I was young and went to hunting camp for a week. I do plan to take the first available deer of decent eating size. We are out of meat at my house and love the stuff. I will only pass on a small fawn or small buck. After some years of eating buck tag stew I don't think my standards will be as high as in years past though. Those not shot will still have their picture taken and posted if I can. Sometimes I'm watching for more or bigger deer and don't get to take pictures.

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

That's me too most times Tony. I won't risk ruining a possible chance of a lifetime, just to show you guys pics of a deer. Sorry, but I work too hard to end up spoiling something and id end up regretting for the rest of my life...or even the rest of season. Pics on the hoof while im hunting just dont take priority with me. My 2015 buck was the 3rd mature buck deer through, and was a matter of seconds between #2 and him. I certainly didn't want to shoot the first 2 though they were still big enough for P&Y. If I had been taking pics, that 3rd buck would not be on my wall. Just sayin.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

Yep; I have taken some pictures after being convinced that nothing else is following, but not risking blowing the chance on a big boy trailing behind.

Mohawk

#5 Post by Mohawk »

I would like to shoot a deer with this foc setup! I am new to the concept and have seen it work in Shadows deer as well as his sons and I'm liking it. I'm not anticipating being real picky, but we'll see what comes around.

Crazynate

#6 Post by Crazynate »

My goal every year is to just make a clean shot a a whitetail deer. Call me weird and I don't mean any offense to trophy hunters but I could care less about horns. So many of my close friends I bowhunter with are now trophy hunters and they changed as not only hunters but just sportsman in general and I think it's sad. Not all big buck hunters are like that and there's nothing wrong with passing up smaller ones but the last 8 years it seems if you shout a 4pt guys get way to upset. After serving overseas and in the Marines I have a lot more things to get upset about than a whitetail buck. So that's my goal. To have fun, make a clean shot, and not worry about what other hunters think about me shooting smaller bucks. We should all be equal opportunitie hunters anyway lol. I don't discriminate against any buck. JK
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Longtrad

#7 Post by Longtrad »

At my stage in the game my goal is just to get a large game kill at all! Brown is down for sure lol

I don't know if I will be going after big game this year, I didnt draw a deer tag and recent shoulder problems forced me to stop shooting for a good spell and sometimes I still get pain if I dont do everything just right, That has kind of messed with my head a bit to be honest.

I do enjoy antelope hunting but I just cant put the amount of time into as I did last year do to new work restraints. I have sort of decided to use those excuses to use this year to work on my shooting style and form, so hopefully I can draw the tag I want next year and go after them with better accuracy and more confidence. At least that is kind of the idea I have had floating around in the back of my head.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

Go gettum fellers, everyone gets to make their own Choices about what they shoot. I will decide when the time comes whether to shoot or watch it pass by, I enjoy doing both.

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

Crazynate wrote:Not all big buck hunters are like that and there's nothing wrong with passing up smaller ones but the last 8 years it seems if you shout a 4pt guys get way to upset.
So that's my goal. To have fun, make a clean shot, and not worry about what other hunters think about me shooting smaller bucks. We should all be equal opportunitie hunters anyway lol.

Nate, you have no worries about that kind of thing around here. Every last one of us knows that any deer or big game with a bow is a heck of an accomplishment and they all have more or less the same senses and kill zone no matter whats on their head. I tend to hold out for older bucks or a doe...but believe me when I say I've shot many smaller bucks without reserve. I think those that badger other hunters for what they shoot are showing their immaturity as a hunter. To be honest, an ol wise doe is a greater prize and harder to get a drop on in my book then any buck. But I'm standing on the idea that any deer or big game by bow is a tough feat. Shoot what you wish and show us with confidence, because you will get the same congratulatory reaction from this crowd no matter what you take. I look forward to it! I think its excellent you mentioned about wishing for a good clean kill. I know we all wish the same, but its a great reminder as to what is most important.

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Clay, sounds like an excellent plan. I wish you the best, because that small game thing is a tough one. Just seeing them around regularly makes some folks think they are less difficult to hunt, but nothing is further from the truth especially by bow. Jumpy nerves and quick reactions make them a true trophy, and makes that meat just a little bit sweeter when you connect. I absolutely love small game meat....nothing better in my opinion!

Return to “Bow Hunting experiences”