Elk

Share your elk hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt elk. Ask any questions you may have about elk hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to elk hunting
scaler

Re: Elk

#21 Post by scaler »

4dogs wrote:I use the cheese cloth type game bags. I also like to carry good chunk of lightweight screen material too. I wrap that around the game bags as an extra barrier. Someimes it takes this old man a day or two to get it all out and the bees around here are nasty. Have also used black pepper as a deturrent.
May have to give that a try. Our camp will be the 4th week of Sept, so the bees/wasps are still about. The game bags I have are like a nylon pillow case but big enough for a qtr. I need to find out what they are, but they come in a nice orange stuff sack.

scaler

#22 Post by scaler »

Carpdaddy wrote:Since I don't get to hunt them big critters I am curious about the bow and arrow set up you guys use. Longbow or recurve, poundage, arrow weight, and broadheads?
I use a bow that pull right at 60# at my draw. I am a big believer in 2 blade heads but know a few folks who love the 3 blade. Biggest thing is to make a great shot! With a long bow, that means close..20yd or less with a clear shot.

Stiknstring

#23 Post by Stiknstring »

I have been using my Martin "Hunter" 70#@28" with Sweetland cedar arrows and Grizzly Broadhead with satisfactory results...
But have seen several fall to 50# recurves with the old Bear Razorheads.
As long as you can put a SHARP broadhead into the proper place, it will do the job.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#24 Post by Carpdaddy »

I used to always hunt 60lb bows even on Whitetail Deer but it was easier to anchor than 45lb is now, time makes a change! My thinking now is heavy arrows, high FOC, and good quality very sharp heads will make up for the lost poundage. I also like the two blade heads; but with tips that won't curl and blades that won't bend. I would think that most of you use arrows that weigh 600-700gr at least.

Kbetts

#25 Post by Kbetts »

I received my game bags. Excellent quality and quite light. I love the small "camp meat" bag. The reflective tabs are a nice touch also. They should last me many years.

I'm going to carry a 60# Kimsha Mattawoman II longbow or a 57# Great Plains SR Swift. Both bows shoot the same 600 grain arrow. Broadhead will most likely be a VPA.

My next purchase is a new pack. The one I carry for whitetails is just too hot on my back. I'm looking into the lumbar style. The Blacks Creek Cure looks like a winner.......and made in the USA.
My range finder, release, and sights are the ones God gave me.

Return to “Elk hunting tips and tactics”