Next season

Share your elk hunting knowledge, give tips on how to hunt elk. Ask any questions you may have about elk hunting.
Forum rules
Please stick to elk hunting
Stiknstring

Next season

#1 Post by Stiknstring »

As an Elk hunting fanatic, the only time I am not dreaming of Elk hunting is when I am hunting.
2014 season began last September when I found the largest rub I have ever seen, with tracks resembling a moose more than an Elk in the area I hunt.
This is Coastal Washington, where the woods are thick, and visibility is limited, and after searching fruitlessly for the maker of these tracks, I have to wait until spring to get up there and set up some cameras hoping for confirmation of my suspicions of a large bull.
We encountered a small herd in area, but the bull with them was a small 3pt bull (early Sept. pre-rut) and larger herd was on other side of ridge, but only a few small 5pts in that herd.
I KNOW that he was somewhere in area, but no visual, or rumors from other hunters of a large bull.
I was planning on scouting out several gates (locked) by bicycle this summer, as I like to have options when I hunt.
I like to have several different areas where I know elk to be, but is quality preferable to quantity ?
I hate to "put all my eggs into one basket" especially because I feel that this bull moved to where the cows were more numerous, or he has a favorite "girlfriend" or rutting area.
One of the things I have learned when Elk hunting is that sometimes you have to collect all the pieces of the puzzle before it makes sense, but am I wasting my time scouting an area that I find empty during season ?

bronco2

Re: Next season

#2 Post by bronco2 »

good luck with the big bull Micheal. i hope you can tracking him down and make contact with arrow to hide..thanks for the great story and for taking us on your journey . thanks, denny

Stiknstring

#3 Post by Stiknstring »

I am not that particular, any legal elk is good for me, but when most rubs in the area are small saplings, with one area having rubs on 8" diameter trees I was amazed to see a mature aspen (18"+ trunk) just shredded, my friend took some pictures with his video, but unable to send me copies...will post when I get them.
Area is at very end of decommissioned road, about 3 miles in on a bench neighboring some old growth, and surrounded by nasty deadfall, the kind where you have to walk on the fallen trees just to make any progress through to a spot to go under some more.
unbelievable how these critters can ghost through the stuff like they do...
Real good area, as no way to get any vehicle to spot, keeping the quads away.
Hopefully will get some good pics on cameras this spring and summer.

bronco2

#4 Post by bronco2 »

be looking forward to the rub pictures and the game cam. thanks, denny

scaler

#5 Post by scaler »

I was happy to see our spot had Elk this year! Last year saw more Wolf sign than Elk. Did run into some cows and calves, but they have taken our cow season away. This year we got into Elk almost every day. Lots of huge rubs in an area we know they hang out in. Just couldn't make it happen. Did get to watch a cow for about 10min at 21 yds! Easy shot if they were legal again. Can't wait for 2014 Elk Camp!

Stiknstring

#6 Post by Stiknstring »

One day this season my friend and I were investigating a spot when a herd moved up the ridge behind us, we both got behind some deadfall rootwads for concealment and made a few calls, a bull came to within FEET of Chad, on the other side of his rootwad, all he could see was the "sweet spot" through a hole in the roots, cows were legal but he knew it was a bull, but not able to see if 3pt or 2 (3pt+ or antlerless)!!
Never did get a good visual on that bull.

scaler

#7 Post by scaler »

That must have been awesome! Always a good bet to be 100% before you loose.

I have an Uncle in Chehalis. And my daugter teaches High School math/Chemistry/Physics at MossyRock.

I have seen some of the Elk on that side of the state. Nice animals.

bronco2

#8 Post by bronco2 »

belive it or not fellas. but we have elk here in virginia also. haven't seen one yet. maybe someday..

Tradman

#9 Post by Tradman »

Stiknstring wrote:One day this season my friend and I were investigating a spot when a herd moved up the ridge behind us, we both got behind some deadfall rootwads for concealment and made a few calls, a bull came to within FEET of Chad, on the other side of his rootwad, all he could see was the "sweet spot" through a hole in the roots, cows were legal but he knew it was a bull, but not able to see if 3pt or 2 (3pt+ or antlerless)!!
Never did get a good visual on that bull.
Gotta trust that camo to work.I lost a chance at a huge bull around 15 years ago because I jumped behind a tree when that big sucker turned around after I finally made him mad enough to come fight.Only time I got behind anything while calling in a bull.Live and learn.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Stiknstring

#10 Post by Stiknstring »

I have done that A LOT, don't know why my brain goes away when I get excited.
This bull was actually separate from the herd, thought he would sneak in and visit that cow he heard...

Return to “Elk hunting tips and tactics”