Fallow deer

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

Fallow deer

#1 Post by Graps »

This is a true story .

Thirty plus years ago I had found a farm land that I could hunt . It was owned by an elderly couple that had a swimming pool company . I was given permission to hunt deer but the only stipulation was that I check in at the farm house when I was going to hunt .

Now one very interesting thing about the farm house was that they had a large fenced in area with a good number of Fallow deer , you know the kind that have spots there whole life and tall antlers . I would hear them grunting like pigs when I would go to the house .

Now I had been to the farm several times and this one time I knocked on the door and the elderly lady came to the door and she asked me " You like deer don't you ? "

At which time I said ' Yes I do . "

She then told me that her husband said that she needed to get rid of a few of her deer .

The next thing she asked me was " Would you like one of those deer ? "

I said " How much do you want for one ? "

She said I could just have one and she would give me one .

Wow this is real neat I was thinking to myself .

I said " Sure I will take one . "

Then she asked me " Where would you keep it ? "

I said " In my freezer . "

Threw out my life I have had moments where my mouth takes off without full understanding of what is truly being said by another person . It was about a half second after I said " In my freezer " that a little voice in my head whispered " W R O N G A N S W E R !!! " :oops:

I was immediately told to leave and never come back again .

It was a very nice place to hunt . :cry:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Fallow deer

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Man, oh man...that was great!
But hey...you didn't lie. Sometimes the truth hurts.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

My father warned me about ribbing my mouth wide open before putting my brain in gear! I didnt listen good enough snd it has caused me a lot of trouble throught life. That was one you can look back and grin at now.

Ardwen

#4 Post by Ardwen »

That's too funny. I make statements like that too. It runs in the family... our mouths run before we think. As a pastor, I have learned to not speak before I think through my words, but I tend to turn that off when I am with family or friends.

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

TTT
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

I would pay money to watch that unfold...
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Lol...no 2 minds think exactly the same!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Campfire”