Shooting and municipalities

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Shooting and municipalities

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

After backyard shooting for decades, I recently found out that there is an ordinance prohibiting such activity within city limits, even on private property with a fenced in yard as I have. (Oops!) Has anyone else run into this, and how did you deal with it? (ignore, comply with, etc?) Has anyone ever had a bow confiscated by LEO's as a result of complaints, etc?
I would hate to have a run-in with LEO's...we have a bunch of new neighbors and you never know how people will react.

From the code of city ordinances, verbatim:

"No person shall shoot or fire an arrow, dart, spear or other sharp projectile by means of a bow, crossbow or other like instrument."

How would you deal with this issue?
Aim small, miss small!

Gamestalker

Re: Shooting and municipalities

#2 Post by Gamestalker »

I've never lived in a city, but if I did I would move to the country.
Not much help for you, I know. :roll:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I do live in the City limits and can't shoot in my own yard. The neighbor in front of me lets me shoot behind his house. I'm still shooting in the city limits but the target is about where it ends, nobody has complained yet or it could stop.

hornfrog

#4 Post by hornfrog »

Can't help you there Capt'n, not in town. This would be a good question for Jose.
"Nothing wrong with the quiet."

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

It sucks, I'll tell you that much. Since noise is not an issue, I doubt there would be much backlash unless some nosy neighbor called in. But you never know what trips somebody's trigger.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

See if the wife will let you shoot inside the house like Triple-L does.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote:See if the wife will let you shoot inside the house like Triple-L does.
She doesn't want me shooting OUTSIDE the house!
If you've been paying attention, you guys know some of the back-story as to why this topic surfaced in the first place (dog, fence, neighbors) so you also know why I've been "laying low" and haven't approached the subject of backyard shooting this season.
It will come to a head, however. I just want to go about it right and not go off half-cocked and sump'n stupid.
I am still cogitating on how to approach the issue....
Aim small, miss small!

hornfrog

#8 Post by hornfrog »

I didn't want to mention it before, but, seeing how I couldn't fish today and misery loves company. I've got a friend who owns a Hoyt dealership and he's got a 40 yd indoor range and a 30 target 3D course he lets me shoot for free. It's tough but someone has to do it. 8-)

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

hornfrog wrote:I didn't want to mention it before, but, seeing how I couldn't fish today and misery loves company. I've got a friend who owns a Hoyt dealership and he's got a 40 yd indoor range and a 30 target 3D course he lets me shoot for free. It's tough but someone has to do it. 8-)
Cool! Some fellers get all the breaks!
I feel I really can't be myself at some goofy range monitored by safety Nazis. The way to learn and develop trad and instinctive shooting is by experimentation (nothing safety-related, of course!) and trying different bows, arrows, point weights, etc...exactly the sort of activities RO's frown upon. They want you to just shoot your arrows and don't break from tradition.
It's OK for keeping your form in shape, but a lousy learning environment.
Aim small, miss small!

hornfrog

#10 Post by hornfrog »

On my own at these ranges. I shoot 2 bows on ranges. That being said, it is thru the week when a lot of people are working.

Return to “Campfire”