Shots you will not take

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Longbowfanatic

Shots you will not take

#1 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Hi guys & gals,
I'm a new member but no stranger to trad archery. I had a recent conversation with one of my buddies which sparked an interesting discussion. I don't want to cause a argument and that's not the point to this discussion. The purpose is for me is to learn from your experiences. With that said, here we go: what are the shots you absolutely will not take?

I will begin with my list.

1. Quartering toward me.
2. Straight dawn.
3. Frontal shot.

I don't want you to think I'm I'm a saint, but I may be a sinner. Quite sure of the later. LOL. Anyway, I have done all of these. For me, I will not take any of these these shots (until a Boone & Crockett walks by, then I'll ask for forgiveness). I'm not here to judge anyone nor do I want anyone else to judge anyone else. This is nothing more than informative.

Okay, so I have exposed my soft underbelly. What are your ABSOLUTES (of course dismissing my ever-changing absolutes) If your shot absolutes conflict with mine, I could care less. You may have had a different experience than I have, which has formed your opinion. I am not right and it's not about being right. It's about initiating an interesting discussion. Thanks everyone!

Shadowhntr

Re: Shots you will not take

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

I personally only like a moderately quartering away shot, or broadside. The other situations I consider a no shot situation.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Crazynate

Re: Shot you will not take

#3 Post by Crazynate »

Good question to ask. I'm interested to see what guys do and don't do. For me the shot I will not take with my recurve is a quartering to me shot. 3 years ago I was hunting up by Grayling and about 10 minutes after climbing up hit my grunter and then saw a huge buck charging in at me. He was a monster 6pt with no brow times. He stopped about 8 yards away. I was standing up and could of drawn hoping he would've seen me then I'd get a broadside shot but he didn't and he spooked than bolted. For a compound or an xbow hunter that would've been a slam dunk but I just didn't fee comfortable and I've lost 2 many deer rushing shots like that. It still bothers me to this day even though I think I made the right choice. I also have taken front shots right through the chest. Luckily both times I've done it I was successful but I wouldn't do it again. Straight down shots are to hard for me to. I'll try and wait until they're 5 yards out at least. But like you say that f a Booner walks by I have no idea what I might try lol.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Longbowfanatic

#4 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your insights!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Longbowfanatic wrote: I will begin with my list.
1. Quartering toward me.
2. Straight dawn.
3. Frontal shot.
First off, great question, Dennis!
I will not take any of the above three. In addition, I have a self imposed limit of 20 yard broadside since my practice time and opportunities have decreased. I also will not take a shot on a deer that is acting skittish, or on alert.
Since I'm primarily a ground hunter these days (my choice) that means a lot of track soup on the menu, but I don't care. I do have rifles if I get hungry.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

None of those shots , also if there's anything obstructing the possible shot , that's a pass as well .
I'll only take a clear and broadside shot . I will take a slight quartering away shot .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

I will not take shots that I have taken in the past! I am much older and wiser now, and I am not pressured to shoot a Deer at any cost. Someone (I think it was Ron) made a very compelling argument here some time back against the full frontal shot. If I remember correctly he had a skeleton or something to prove his point. I once took a Deer in my younger days that I shot standing straight toward me. Straight through the chest and out far back. The Deer didn't go 20 yards probably. The point is that I was young, I would not take that same shot today if it were an exact situation.

Longbowfanatic

#8 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Like Tony said, I have taken those shots before in my younger days too and although I have had positive outcomes in all of them, if memory serves me correctly, I would not do taken them today.

Kirk- I couldn't agree more. My self imposed hunting distance is less than 15 yards. That is the distance I feel gives me the best chance of a 100% success rate on harvesting a whitetail from a tree stand.Of course deer can jump the string, so there are no guarantees.

dhaverstick

#9 Post by dhaverstick »

I'm with Jason, quartering away or broadside. Anything else and the animal gets a pass from me.

Darren

Longbowfanatic

#10 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Kirk,

Good point on shooting at alert deer. I had a guy once tell me his theory on how he shoots alert deer. He said that if the deer is amped up, he would intentionally shoot 1"-2" below the chest. He said that it the deer drops down, you're in the center or lower 1/3 of the chest cavity. If the deer doesn't drop, it's a clean miss.

I have another one to add to my list of no shoot scenarios for myself. Walking deer are a "no go" for me. I know some people do it, and do it effectively. That's just beyond my comfort level, probably for a number of reasons. In the end, I'm like many of you in that I want broadside or quartering away only.

Return to “Campfire”