Shots you will not take

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Shots you will not take

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

gettin closer wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:22 pm Shot I do not take other than the ones listed above:
1) shots of tequila
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#17 Post by Shadowhntr »

:lol: :lol: :lol: ....

I could understand if you said Jagermeister!!!.... :?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Tradman

#18 Post by Tradman »

They either got to be broadside or quartered away no more than 430 ....3 and 9 being broadside 6 and 12 being straight on.Works for me.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

stumper

#19 Post by stumper »

I will not take any shot, I am not convinced will be absolutely lethal. 20 yards max... Unfortunately, I have yet to see a deer within bow range. I am thinking that I am going to start using a tree stand.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Tradman

#20 Post by Tradman »

Flemish Dave wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:55 am I will not take any shot, I am not convinced will be absolutely lethal. 20 yards max... Unfortunately, I have yet to see a deer within bow range. I am thinking that I am going to start using a tree stand.
:arrow: :roll:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Shadowhntr

#21 Post by Shadowhntr »

X2 what Tradman said....lol!

I don't believe in my heart that you aren't seeing deer because you aren't in a tree stand. If there are deer around, you should have some kind of encounter, whether to your advantage or theirs, no matter if you are on the ground or in the air. I often spend time on the ground in a new area to get a first hand look at deer movement from the ground before I move in tight with a tree stand.

If you regularly aren't seeing deer there is only 2 possibilities. 1....there aren't any deer there to see in daylight hours. 2...they know you are there before you even know about them.

Both have a number of causes and remedies though, so take heart.

stumper

#22 Post by stumper »

I am sure
You are right shadow. I am just thinking about a different vantage point.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Lowcountry

#23 Post by Lowcountry »

I won't take most (or all) of the shots listed above, but the amped up deer shot is near and "deer" to me. I once shot at an old doe on edge that was inside of 15 yards. That doe swapped ends and was a full length away when my arrow hit the ground where she had been. I'm still not sure I believe it happened, but I consider myself lucky I came away with a clean miss.

Shadowhntr

#24 Post by Shadowhntr »

Flemish Dave wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:00 pm I am sure
You are right shadow. I am just thinking about a different vantage point.
Well then by all means do the stand! I like tree stand hunting. It gives me a better view and more shot opportunities because low brush is so often out of the picture! Any and every time I can use a tree stand I'll do it. ;)

Shadowhntr

#25 Post by Shadowhntr »

Lowcountry wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:49 pm I won't take most (or all) of the shots listed above, but the amped up deer shot is near and "deer" to me. I once shot at an old doe on edge that was inside of 15 yards. That doe swapped ends and was a full length away when my arrow hit the ground where she had been. I'm still not sure I believe it happened, but I consider myself lucky I came away with a clean miss.
I had a very similar experience....great post!

Return to “Campfire”