Dropped my tab = one less thing to worry about

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
eidsvolling

Dropped my tab = one less thing to worry about

#1 Post by eidsvolling »

The weather has finally turned cool here in New Hampshire. Time to practice while wearing some heavier gloves.

My usual arrangement is a tab over a variety of non-archery gloves. This allows me to shoot right through the fall and into winter, even at temps near zero. For the last few years, my winter gloves have been the Sitka Gear Mountain Gloves I won in a contest, with a Safari Tuff tab. This has been a pretty good arrangement.

This summer I bought a pair of Kuiu Guide Gloves to use as something less than full-on winter gloves. I climbed into my practice tree stand this morning, pulled up my bow and quiver and commenced shooting.

Well, not immediately. My string hand felt oddly light. Yup, the Safari Tuff tab was gone, straight down from where it had fallen off my hand to the foot of the tree stand. Sigh.

So I made lemonade. I shot some arrows without the tab, as a foretaste of what to expect in a similar situation on a hunt. The result was pleasing to the eye and actually better than when I retrieved the tab and shot with it over the glove:

I won't use the bare glove for long practice sessions, but it's definitely feasible, even preferable, for a hunting situation.

Longbowfanatic

Re: Dropped my tab = one less thing to worry about

#2 Post by Longbowfanatic »

LOL! Adapt and overcome! Well done, brother. Nice group!

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

I'll say! Thems all meat aquiring shots there! I practice, as you did, shooting without shooting glove or tab. Most times I begin shooting bare finger about now since I start hunting at the end of Oct.. It makes only a small difference, and generally to the better. ...AND I don't worry about having or not having my shooting apparal while hunting. I start out with only 10 or 15 shots bare finger....then advance from there. I like to keep a warm muff or glove/mitten in my pocket which my hand is in most of the time...then if a shot presents, I simply pull my hand out and shoot. It's really not as bad as folks might think esp if the bow is 55lb or lighter.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

I am hunting totally bare, fingers that is! I practice that way and hunt that way. If I shoot a lot in practice I will use a glove some but don’t usually shoot enough arrows in one session to matter. As it gets colder I will probably start using a glove some, Just to warm my fingers though, I will likely pull my hand out of my pocket and glove at the same time to shoot.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

You generally get one shot. You don't need either a tab or a glove for that in my book.
Aim small, miss small!

Crazynate

#6 Post by Crazynate »

I agree if needed I can shoot without one to. I think my release is cleaner without a tab lol
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

I usually shoot bare fingers while hunting too .
I do like an armguard to keep my sleeve pit of the way .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Return to “Campfire”