Please help me understand more about this Fred Bear quiver

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Longbowfanatic

Please help me understand more about this Fred Bear quiver

#1 Post by Longbowfanatic »

My buddy's dad owed this quiver prior to his passing and I wanted more info on the age and specifics of it. Thanks!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Please help me understand more about this Fred Bear quiv

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

I've never seen one like that. I will have to do some digging, Dennis.
Aim small, miss small!

Longbowfanatic

#3 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Thanks, Kirk!

Crazynate

#4 Post by Crazynate »

That's the bear Blackhawk. They used the Indian and canoe all the way from Detroit to the early 60s. In Grayling they had the Alaskan than western than Texan than black hawk than Mohican which looked more like a tube. The Texan and western are most common on eBay but that Blackhawk is in great shape it might bring 70.00 on eBay. But most of the time 40-50 for that model. Year exactly is hard because the were made so long. Looking at the lighter color leather on top I'd say late 50s. They weren't the only line of quivers thy made that was just the over the shoulder type. The nimrod came out in 54 I believe and the northwoods 47-52ish. but those did not have the Indian an canoe. Than the Indian and canoe ones I have stamped made in Detroit are also different in style. They used that Indian for so long it's hard to put dates on quivers. Hope this helps
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Crazynate

#5 Post by Crazynate »

I love filling them with old bear arrows and hanging them on the wall. I forgot to say the Texan models and above had tassels on them and the Blackhawk did not. That's how you can tell. The Alaskan had 2 and the the western and Texan 1 than Blackhawk none.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Wow...that's what is so cool about this site. I spent half an hour searching for info and came up empty then Nate chimes in with this!
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

Very cool quiver .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Crazynate

#8 Post by Crazynate »

Thanks captainkirk I don't know what years are exactly I would have to look in the catalogs. I was just trying to remember off the top of my head so i hope no one quotes me on the years. Another thing i notice with these old bears quivers is they did modify the models over the period they were made. Like the Blackhawk I have has double stitching on top on this one doesn't. I have a few Texans and they have 1 tassel but one of them has 2 pieces hanging instead of one. Idk if they did stuff like this on accident or on purpose to confuse us almost 70years later lol. But when I look through the old catalogs they only made the ones I listed for that line so it has to be different years they made them different ways. But I don't know for sure. Also my Indian in the canoe pictures on my Detroit made quivers are pretty identical to the ones we see most common today. Bear also gave a color option at one point in the mid to late 50s. You could have leather quivers made in black or red or white for an extra price.They are extremely rare and the only 2 I have ever seen are owned by John Kabisa. He has a black and white nimrod in the box and the first model scabbard Fred made with green leather in the middle. So yeah they made so many styles and models it really is hard to pinpoint exact years at least for me. I bet Wade Phillips or John could. And like I said before that Blackhawk above is in fantastic shape. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Longbowfanatic

#9 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Awesome information, Nate. Thank you!!!

Longbowfanatic

#10 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Thank you for looking into this also, Kirk!

Return to “Campfire”