Windicator .

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

Windicator .

#1 Post by Graps »

I made this little weather cock to hang on a near by twig .
It works suprisingly well .
It's a ball bearing swivel , alligator clip , turky feather and a hat pin .
Attachments
IMG_20171007_134256885-640x360.jpg
IMG_20171007_134256885-640x360.jpg (125.23 KiB) Viewed 867 times
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

White Falcon

Re: Windicator .

#2 Post by White Falcon »

Nice! I use milk weed thingies in the pods.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

That’s high tech Graps.

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

You mean you guys don't just "forget the wind and just hunt", like "Dead Down Wind" products promote???? :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote:You mean you guys don't just "forget the wind and just hunt", like "Dead Down Wind" products promote???? :lol:
Ummm...no. :roll:

Nice idea, graps. I usually go with the thread tied to my bow, but I like your idea.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

It was just one of those things where I felt like tinkering .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Mohawk

#7 Post by Mohawk »

This brings to mind a story!
Many years ago I had the pleasure of sorta guiding a buddy of mine (Nolan) and his brother in law, Tad Brown of Mad Calls, on a black powder deer hunt. Back then Kansas only allowed residents to hunt deer and Tad was from Missouri so he was going to shoot video of the hunt for a DVD that they were putting together. Mad calls was in the early years of development and was just getting products and videos on the market at the time. Lo and behold, Tad brought over some mossy oak shadow grass caps and some Mad Calls Smokestack Wind Checker powder. This powder was in a little plastic bottle with a screw on cap and all you had to do was give the bottle a little puff of a squeeze while holding it upright and it would send up a bit of white powder which would go with the slightest of breeze. Well, Nolan didn't like the powder, reckoning that it must be toxic to humans in some way. We went on to hunt that evening, and Nolan killed a doe, Tad was so pumped up about getting the hunt on tape that he forgot to push the record button and missed it all, and I had a great time since the pressure was off and a deer was taken. Nolan only had one tag and I didn't hunt black powder and since you couldn't hunt for 24 hours after you bought a tag and Tad had to leave the next morning, it wouldn't benefit us to get another tag. So we got that doe taken care of, and were camping for the night. We ended up drinking a few bottom shelf brews and coming up with commercials for Mad Calls. The best one was Nolan holding the bottle of wind indicator powder, looking into the camera, saying: "Mad Calls Smokestack poison powder, (squeezes bottle and a puff of powder erupts) it's the last wind, you'll ever check."

Graps

#8 Post by Graps »

Nice story , thanks for sharing .

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

I normally use my breath since its generally cold enough to see.... on warmer days i been doing the lick my finger and feel the cool side trick. I like the feather though...has a nice nostalgic feeling.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Campfire”