The return

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
stumper

The return

#1 Post by stumper »

I feel like lately my target practice has been beast mode. However today I returned to my bear grizzly just for fun after months of only shooting longbows. The bear was my first love in traditional bows. It was the bow I wanted as a kid but I could never afford. The results were incredible, multiple Nocks were broken finish what is shaved off other arrows. Have any of you experienced returning to a bow after a long break and you just shoot like a god??? What explains this??
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: The return

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

I constantly change bows so I haven’t had the pleasure, maybe that’s what’s wrong! :lol: :lol: :oops: Sounds like your internal sight memory remembers her well.

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

I've experienced something maybe similar? For me, it always ended up coming down to concentrating more then I was with the same ol same ol. My sudden lights out shooting with different bow only lasted until I failed to concentrate again. It's largely in the subconscious with me. Although grips can have various effects too.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

I have had times when switching bows can help .
I think it could be the bow changes your form slightly and your muscle memory gets a bump .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Crazynate

#5 Post by Crazynate »

I notice this when I pick up my old bear bows to shoot just for fun. When I shoot my newer custom bows I'm always striving to be better and I get tense. When I shoot my older bows i have so much fun I don't get tensed up or feel like I have to shoot at a certain level and it seems improve my accuracy.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Honestly?
I think it's because those old Bear bows are just 'that good'. We get all hyped up about our new 'Custom Sure Shot' and shoot it well, but when we return to the Bear (or insert favorite flavor here) our natural instincts pick up where we left off, and the Bear delivers.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

I think you’re onto something Capt. and the thing is I have a newer Bear bow which cost just as much if not more than some custom bows. Guess they’re just worth it
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Crazynate

#8 Post by Crazynate »

Bear bows are amazing shooters. I think lots of bows made back than are just plain good. I made a huge comparison chart awhile back comparing all my new bows performance wise to my older bears. The results were impressive. my 67-1/2 Super Kodiak shoots an arrow faster than all 4 of my custom bows in that same weight. And all of these other Bears like Kodiaks , grizzlys, even polars shot really well compared to the results of my new bows. It's pretty cool hunting and taking game with a bow made 60 years ago. They knew what they were doing that's for sure.

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

So, how were Bears longbows? Is there any other historical longbows that shot heavenly in a similar way to the old bear recurves?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Crazynate

#10 Post by Crazynate »

I don't have any Bear longbows really. Some of my old polars are semi recurve and they shoot really well but I didn't use them when I did the comparison test. I used a few Kodiaks, super Kodiaks a few grizzlys, Kodiak specials and then a couple 60s polars. Compared to my Predator, Bob Lee, Great Plains swift and B- Model most of them shot very similar as far as speed. One thing I will say is the older bear bows except for the super Kodiak don't hold up well at 15yards like the new custom bows do. They drop speed really fast once you get past 10yards. All my testing was done with bows within a 2# range and all were shot with the same 500 grain arrow taped @28" so I got accurate results.

Return to “Campfire”