Do deer move in the rain ?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Shadowhntr

Re: Do deer move in the rain ?

#11 Post by Shadowhntr »

Geez some guys get all the luck. I wish my rainy day harvest was as bright.

I'd set up a stand prior to season on a nice slinky funnel connecting 2 thick wood lots. A couple days before I hunted it, I drove down an old field road in late evening and shut down and just watched. Sure enough a buck came out running scrapes and walked right past my stand...but he was far enough away even with my cheap binos I couldn't make out good enough to know if he was a mature buck or not. So I set out to get in it asap. A few days later was the weekend and on Saturday morning I was in place. The forecast called for all day rain with it being heavy at times but wasn't suppose to start until around 9 a.m. As it got light...lots of nothing happened. Later and later it got and nothing. Finally around 9 it started coming down at a pretty good pace...and about then 3 deer jumped the property fence a ways away and started coming my way and along side. They were taking their sweet time. They finally got even with me out in the field pasture but were WAY out of range...and I knew that buck was going to show. Sure enough he did....a young stud I decided to pass on. However he ran out and started pushing around the doe, esp the oldest one. Finally she got sick of him and broke away and entered my lil string of cover I was using with a lil stream running in it. She entered way east about 70 yards. As luck would have it he pursued. He pushed her my direction and then got on the edge and came right at me while she was too deep in the cover for a shot. Fortunately as she evened up with me he laid off and went on passing by at 10 yards or so. She waited until he was well ahead, and broke towards the field and right at me. She crossed the stream and stopped pretty much broadside at 12 yards in my lane. I pulled the widow recurve up, and shot. By now it was flat coming down, I had a river between my butt cheeks. When I shot, I felt the bow slip just a tiny bit. Sure enough I smacked her in the liver. She went her way slowly and separated from me and the other deer and that allowed me to sneak out. I came back 5 hrs later and it was mostly done raining, but things were flooding pretty badly. One of my helpers drove a quad runner to the site and was a total mud ball. We began a systematic search from where I'd last seen her. We all had a direction to cover...and of course no blood at all with the rain. I followed my gut...and walked straight to her some 80 yards away in some thick cover. She was still upright when I found her but too weak to go anywhere. I moved close and ended it quickly. Mud, wet, tired, cold....i was miserable from all the events. I oft wonder if it wasn't wet if I'd of made a cleaner shot.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#12 Post by Graps »

Well this is the first Saturday sense gun season opened and I'm sitting in my tent blind with a drizzling rain that started last evening.
I'm seeing squirrels and a few little birds, but I'm not hearing any gun shots at all.
It's a new moon so the deer should be active during the day.
I guess I'll find out.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#13 Post by Shadowhntr »

My son seen 2 smaller bucks and a doe between 8 and 10 o'clock. It was raining lightly all morning and high winds.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Jose

#14 Post by Jose »

I don't notice the rain messing with deer movement much unless it's heavy. I have actually killed two bigger bucks in rain and high winds.

Return to “Campfire”