public land and gut piles.

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
J. Holden

Re: public land and gut piles.

#11 Post by J. Holden »

Captainkirk wrote:
J. Holden wrote:My opinions are pretty spot on with the group as well. I don't think a dead anything will spook a deer out of the area. After all where would they go then right? Animals are dying all the time.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think a deer is much less likely to avoid the smell from a dead animal than even a whiff of human scent, getting back to what Jason said earlier.

Jeremy, are you planning an Illinois hunt on PHL this year or sticking to WI?

WI for us is done. I wanted to get back up there at the end of October, beginning of November but it just didn't work out. My son had a successful hunt at Volo Bog on Halloween this year. That is what reignited the question in my mind. As I was field dressing the deer I was thinking maybe I should've relocated so as to not wreck the area for the next guy.

I've been to the Chain-O-Lakes SP once and will be back Monday afternoon. I try and hunt there once a week while it's available.

On a positive note I also just gained some permission on some private land. Had my walking tour today with the landowner. I'm not the only bowhunter out there but it's private and that's always nice. We'll see how that goes for the rest of the season. Think I'm going to run over there and hang a stand/game camera tomorrow. Kind of exciting.

You ever make it out to the Chain there Capt?

-Jeremy

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#12 Post by Captainkirk »

No, but I drew my IBSP permit for January.
Aim small, miss small!

J. Holden

#13 Post by J. Holden »

I did see that post. I'd love to pick your brain about hunting there. I'm not sure of the process or property for that matter. We're too close to not be able to grab a cup of coffee somewhere and swap lies.

-Jeremy

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#14 Post by Captainkirk »

J. Holden wrote:I did see that post. I'd love to pick your brain about hunting there. I'm not sure of the process or property for that matter. We're too close to not be able to grab a cup of coffee somewhere and swap lies.

-Jeremy
Damn straight! We're probably both about the same distance from Bass Pro, Gurnee Mills. We should hook up, drink a cup of joe and maybe fling a few sticks in the indoor 3D range.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Campfire”