public land and gut piles.

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
J. Holden

public land and gut piles.

#1 Post by J. Holden »

So this isn't something I usually am concerned with as I usually don't have to deal with a kill, lol.

If you're hunting public land do you gut the deer where you find it or do you try and move it to a different area? I know some public land areas require you to make sure the gut pile is "x" amount of feet/yards from a walking path.

I gutted the last two deer right where they lay. One other hunter gave me crap saying I ruined the area. The last one I gutted on the last day for my time period. I started wondering if I potentially messed it up for the next guy. Thinking the deer would shy away from the area.

I've also heard that deer don't care one way or the other. I suppose it's part of the public land scene. But I'm curious what the thoughts are of the collective group. I'm trying to think of my fellow man and also would it ruin an area for a future hunt.

Jeremy

Graps

Re: public land and gut piles.

#2 Post by Graps »

I have never noticed the deer even pay attention to a gut pile .
Have shot several in the same spot .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Crazynate

#3 Post by Crazynate »

I gut them where they die here in MI. Coyotes get the pile so fast I don't think it makes a difference. Once in awhile I'll drag the deer near water to gut it if I known for sure someone else is hunting there. But most of the time I do it where they lay.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

In my opinion there is more damage done by your presence being there and walking about blood tracking, and getting the deer out. I have all my life found dead deer in and around heavy bedding areas and high use areas and the other deer were still there. I think they may avoid dead/gut piles short term but don't bother going much out of their way to do so. As I said, if the fella feels you ruined the area he may be right, but imo not from the gut pile....but rather stringing your scent in all the sensitive areas that deer often feel safe at and seek out, when they are hit. We gotta blood track though and recover. No choice, I understand, as we all do the same....but the event can often hinder a spot for a while. I've witnessed it too many times to deny. Sometimes it happens so none of it bothers the others in the least, but the former has been the majority for me. Never have I felt blood or guts spooks them in and of its self.

Where they lay, or near by if I'm taking meat or dragging. If I can drive to the animal and am near my home I have done it at home while hanging a lot to to keep them nice and clean.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Gut piles are sometimes 40#. I will gut the deer right there unless there's a reason not to, or I'm close by my truck with ample help. The PHL I prefer to hunt says no gut piles within 75 feet of hiking trails. The 'yotes will have them all but gone by sunrise anyway.
I am not a slob hunter and very respectful of the other guy, but not to the point where I'll drag an extra 40# half a mile to be PC.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

I remember a time when I was waiting out after the shot and a small buck came by and started smelling the blood trail.
He followed it all the way to the downed deer.
He wasn't even nervous.
A friend of mine shot a doe and when he trailed to it, there was a big buck ramming her in the side trying to get her to present herself to him.
Those kind of things tell me the deer don't even understand what is going on.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

Never saw negative effects from it, I have had the rest of the group come the same trail the next day. And Yotes do a quick clean up in our area anyway. I’m sure there are probably those who have had other experiences, I can only speak from mine.

J. Holden

#8 Post by J. Holden »

My opinions are pretty spot on with the group as well. I don't think a dead anything will spook a deer out of the area. After all where would they go then right? Animals are dying all the time.

I was just curious what the practice is of everyone else. Thanks for the input and good hunting!

-Jeremy

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

J. Holden wrote:My opinions are pretty spot on with the group as well. I don't think a dead anything will spook a deer out of the area. After all where would they go then right? Animals are dying all the time.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think a deer is much less likely to avoid the smell from a dead animal than even a whiff of human scent, getting back to what Jason said earlier.

Jeremy, are you planning an Illinois hunt on PHL this year or sticking to WI?
Aim small, miss small!

White Falcon

#10 Post by White Falcon »

They provide food for other wild life. Don't hurt a thing. This ws picked clean with in 24 hours, and bone were gone in a month.
Attachments
DSCN6959.JPG
DSCN6959.JPG (124.02 KiB) Viewed 112 times

Return to “Campfire”