Ground vs perch

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Ground vs perch

#16 Post by Carpdaddy »

Most of my stands now are cheap ladder stands, bought them after season at Wally World clearance. They were $59 each before the clearance, I offered $40 each for the few they had left and it worked! Set them before season, chain them to the tree and hope for the best. We also have a few hang on stands Mark got a bargin on at yard sale. He usually changes the cables to chains to be safer, and we wear a harness. I still use a climber some also.

Jose

#17 Post by Jose »

I will hunt both in the trees and on the ground. The type of spot I'm hunting dictates where I will be ambushing from. I hunt some rolling hills and tend to have difficulty on the ground with the wind so most of my hunting is up with the squirrels.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#18 Post by Carpdaddy »

But today the Squirrels were on the ground. Except this big fox squirrel that was enjoying the perch on an old piece of a ladder stand.
Attachments
6A299ECB-AB1D-4DF9-B70C-99FD21319D3D.jpeg
6A299ECB-AB1D-4DF9-B70C-99FD21319D3D.jpeg (146.29 KiB) Viewed 235 times

stumper

#19 Post by stumper »

Well hunting public land in Louisiana would dictate climbing stand only as we cannot leave equipment on public land....
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Shadowhntr

#20 Post by Shadowhntr »

That's what I prefer anyway in my old age. Iguess I'd RATHER have a ladder stand but between the cost, and me hunting so much public it aint happening.

I LOVE my Summit Razor SD, and Viper SD
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#21 Post by stumper »

Tee minus one week to next hunt.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Campfire”