What to do with small game.

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Cody2306

What to do with small game.

#1 Post by Cody2306 »

Ok guys since I'm a total newb when it comes to hunting I have a few questions. I would like to start out hunting a few small game species like rabbit and squirrel. So lets say im out in the woods What do y'all do with your kills if your gonna be out all day? Do y'all carry them in a bag or do you have to pretty much get your game back to ca.p and put on ice pretty quick? And what kinda clothes and foot wear do y'all wear when out and about ?

Graps

Re: What to do with small game.

#2 Post by Graps »

Well, as far as clothes, you want some good heavy pants, like Carhartt so that you can walk through briers.
Any good hiking boots unless you are in cold and snow. Then a good pack boot or military Micky mouse boots.
I will field dressed rabbits and squirrels buy splitting the stomach cavity and then in my game pouch.
Unless it's very warm, you can carry them all day..
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

I'll add, when rabbit hunting without a dog, walk slow and look for a black marble in brush and tall grass.
If you find a black marble, shoot it with your blunt.
That's a rabbits eye.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Cody2306

#4 Post by Cody2306 »

Thanks and as far as game bags what do you use? Like a pillow case?

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

I use a small game vest like upland bird hunters use...only cheap versions instead of leather.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

I never have hunted small game all day like I have Deer so really never had this issue. When I hunt I keep a cooler in my vehicle with frozen 2 liter bottles to put Deer quarters in should I get one, I would think it would be good for other game also. A friend of mine always cleaned his Squirrels in the woods, he would pull out sandwich bags with cleaned Squirrels in them when he got back to the truck. I still don’t know how he did that without having any blood or hair on him! If staying out a long time I would recommend at least getting the innards out.

Cody2306

#7 Post by Cody2306 »

I see thanks carpdaddy..

Longtrad

#8 Post by Longtrad »

For rabbits if you get a headshot I like to clean them this way if I plan on staying in the field, this method doesnt work as well if you dont hit them in the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d1zP5eCQ5Y

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

I'm not even going to look....i already know he is gonna squeeze it out the butt.....UGH! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#10 Post by Graps »

Another thing to do with small game.
Cook and eat them on the spot.
My late hunting partner Mike and I would do that all the time.
Mike called that " Critter Du Jure "........
I sure do miss those days..........

Return to “Campfire”