Bear trouble brewing on the horizon

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Bear trouble brewing on the horizon

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

Well, you guys saw that I snagged an early Tamerlane to go along with my HC-300 and was surprised to see the numerous differences between the two. My research and the info provided in Jorge L. Coppen's book "Bear Archery Traditional Bows; A Chronological History" has shown me there were three basic Tamerlane models;

*Tamerlane, 1963-1970 (the one I just bought is a '64)

*Tamerlane HC-30, 1965-1967

*Tamerlane HC-300, 1968-1972 (the first one I bought)

Of course, within the three categories, there are a number of variations, including draw weights, sighted or non-sighted, length, woods used and colors (particularly sought after is the rare blonde 66" 1967 model...a one-off.) so there are many different variations of the above bows. However, in viewing the above list, something jumps out and bites me on the ankle...

Yep. I don't have an HC-30. :shock:

Now, this does not mean the Captain is gonna run right out and look for an HC-30. These things ain't cheap, ya know...even at the prices I've been snagging them at. :? And the HC-30s are 50 years old; just because I find one doesn't mean it will be in decent shape. Having the entire riser made from Formica, rather than blended with Rosewood caps as on the HC-300, the HC-30 'Black Beauty' was a standout and easily recognized over the earlier and later Tamerlanes, see internet photo below:

Compared to my two:

I think I need one. Maybe not tomorrow, but someday...
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

Re: Bear trouble brewing on the horizon

#2 Post by stumper »

Rut row part 5 in the making.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

Is this kinda high?
Attachments
Screenshot_20171123-203503-480x575.jpg
Screenshot_20171123-203503-480x575.jpg (60.86 KiB) Viewed 187 times
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote:Is this kinda high?
Nope. That one has the factory sight which I've seen selling for nearly $300.00 alone. If the bow is in good-to-excellent shape, it should bring an easy grand, more if the factory case and other accessories are included.

Look at this one; it's a steal at $1,100.00 with all the official Bear accessories:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bear-Tamerlane ... SwhlZYuiqy

You could sell the accessories, keep the bow and probably break even!

Average condition Tamerlane pricing is normally between $500-$1000.00...more if it's in pristine condition. The one I just bought could have brought between $1,000 and 1,500.00 from a serious collector.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

dahyer wrote:Rut row part 5 in the making.
Shhhhhhhhhh!!! Don't let my wife hear you... :?
Aim small, miss small!

Crazynate

#6 Post by Crazynate »

Most tamerlanes I have seen or have sold have gone between 250-375.00 depending on the Model and condition. Even the HC-30 don't go much higher. There's always guys on eBay listing bows for crazy amounts but that doesn't mean much. There are bows right now listed for 1500 and they'll be lucky to get 350.00. You have to go by what the average selling price is which I would say average 300.00. just my 2 cents. Either way tamerlanes are fantastic bows.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Crazynate wrote:
Most tamerlanes I have seen or have sold have gone between 250-375.00 depending on the Model and condition. Even the HC-30 don't go much higher. There's always guys on eBay listing bows for crazy amounts but that doesn't mean much. There are bows right now listed for 1500 and they'll be lucky to get 350.00. You have to go by what the average selling price is which I would say average 300.00. just my 2 cents. Either way tamerlanes are fantastic bows.
I can't argue with that...most of the ones asking the 1000+ price tags, I click out of and don't check back to see if they sold or not. I have seen several I was watching previously go for $750.00 and above, maybe that's what eBay'ers will pay for one but not necessarily the used market value. Anyone is taking a risk paying that much for a 50 year old bow, no matter how pristine.
Both of mine I got for under 300, not counting shipping.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

Well if anyone is interested It's at Traditional Archery Sales
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Campfire”