I have a quandry

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Graps

I have a quandry

#1 Post by Graps »

Those of you that shoot 3 under, I hear once in a while that your bow is noisier that way.
Hear is my thought, if three under messes with the tiller, what would happen if you were to mount an elevated arrow rest about as much higher as the width of your finger so you would be pulling the string at the same point as if it was shooting split finger?
In my mind that would be flexing the limbs evenly and the bow shouldn't even care.
I've never heard of anyone doing that but I think it would work.
Especially if you shoot a fixed crawl.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

Re: I have a quandry

#2 Post by Graps »

You know, Jose shoots 3 under and he builds bows.
I think he should try that and let us know how it works.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I usually raise the Nock point a little for three under. I would think that raising both would be even better, but never tried. That is for when the bow becomes more noisy, for most it’s not an issue.
You would have to consider the idea that you are actually going farther from center rather than towards it, center on most Bows is at deepest part of the grip, that’s why you can balance them on your finger.
In the other hand it’s 6:00 in the morning, I haven’t had enough coffee too think, don’t hold me responsible for comments made before 1/2 pot!

J. Holden

#4 Post by J. Holden »

I'm certainly not qualified to answer this. But, I will say, don't go changin' things in the middle of the season! Wait till the cold days of January to tinker.

-Jeremy

cap4382

#5 Post by cap4382 »

I agree with Carp, i get the same effect raising the nock point. I shoot a fixed crawl off the shelf, my nock point is set at 7/8" above 90°, seems high but i think it may negate the tiller issue, but i may be wrong. My RER is even tillered.

I just got a zipper on trade, that's positive tillered and its set up with the same NP(7/8"). It shoots just the same as my RER, nice and quiet with the fixed crawl.

YMMV, but that's my experience

stumper

#6 Post by stumper »

My nocking points are higher and I have never had any issues and cannot tell the difference in noise.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

I think Jason hit the nail on the head. 3 under/gapping may well be the most accurate method of shooting out to 25 yards and beyond. But as a trad hunter...are you REALLY gonna take that shot? I did, several years ago. And guess what? I missed. Long story short; I should have passed on the shot.
That being said, if you really want to give a fixed crawl a shot, my advice would be start practicing AFTER this year's season ends.
As far as noise is concerned, my son shoots his K-hunter 3 under, and I definitely hear more noise, but the otter fur string silencers he put on helped a bunch. Personally, I don't like the way it puts different tension on the upper and lower limbs. If I was going to shoot 3 under/FC I would buy a bow with limbs tillered for that.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Hey...somebody just pushed me! :shock:
Dave, I will freely admit that all things considered, 3U is probably the better system to use and is more comparable to using a release. Stringwalking is an amazing thing; just watch Jimmy Blackmon on You Tube. I tremendously enjoyed watching "The Push" where Clay Hayes was using a fixed crawl out to 40 yards; again, amazing. And I, of all people have no bones about how or with what people hunt. I come from gun hunting, muzzleloader hunting and compound hunting in a previous life and am not ruling out doing any of the above at a future date. One of the hardest things for me to do, also being left eye dominant and right-handed, was to drop the gapping I was using while closing my left eye (which if you recall, was working very, very well for me) and shift to completely instinctive, non-gapping with both eyes open. Why I did that was pretty much what Jason said...I challenged myself to do it and while my super-tight groups opened up some, my confidence level has increased dramatically. Why? Because I'm no longer shackled to sights or a sighting system. This is not to say one method is 'better' or 'more trad'...it's just something I felt I needed to accomplish in my personal journey. And...get this...one of my next goals is to attempt to develop a working fixed crawl! Stringwalking...not so sure on that one...LOL! :lol: But I second Jason's (friendly!) challenge to any stringwalking/3U shooters to attempt to excel at split/instinctive shooting if for nothing else than to challenge your own abilities. But here we are, hijacking Dale's thread which was simply asking about the mechanics of raising the nocking point as a way to offset 3U and the noise that sometimes goes with it...did we answer that question? :?
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#9 Post by stumper »

You’re kind Jason. But I assure you one dave is enough.

As for the original question from Dale, that is an interesting prospect. What if instead of a rest the shelf itself was built higher or a thicker rest material combined with higher nock? The widow maker I have has a higher than normal shelf on it. It took a few shots to get used to but I find I shoot it better than any other bow now.
Attachments
Lower shelf
Lower shelf
B0454606-9B8B-435A-8978-F1F43C27770B.jpeg (76.02 KiB) Viewed 327 times
Higher shelf
Higher shelf
CA876FCA-F67F-4080-B2BB-1CE4C5D8E99B.jpeg (95.65 KiB) Viewed 327 times
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

Here’s what I do know! :lol: :lol: :oops:
1. We went a long way off topic, Dale probably doesn’t mind though. :mrgreen:
2. I learn a lot from differing views as long as folks stay peaceable, thanks for doing that.
3. My arms and shoulders are hurting from shooting this evening.
4. I shoot instinctive I think, don’t reference the arrow anyhow.
5. I shot both three under and split. Last season I hunted three under and this season all split finger, yep I’m strange.
6. It’s nearing Church time and I’m sitting in the parking lot waiting.
7. Today is my wife’s Birthday, she can now get a senior discount at many restaurants! :lol:

Return to “Campfire”