Do mice count?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Grizzly

Do mice count?

#1 Post by Grizzly »

After reading Graps, "the rest of the story", it dawned on me to go check on the mouse.

Two nights ago I thought I saw one go darting across the kitchen doorway and made a mental note to set some traps. Last night before bed I saw it again, only for a tad bit longer. It was a "BIG" mouse and I was a little concerned it could possibly be a small rat. It moved too fast for me to be sure. So, I set two traps with some peanut butter and went to bet. I got up in the wee hours and checked the traps. Sure enough, it was a really big and fat mouse, that had been hit 2/3 back by the spring arm. I was about to flick it into the trash when I noticed the eyes looked pretty clear. I moved the spring arm and touched it and sure enough she was still alive.

It's just a mouse right? So I set the trap outside since I was barefoot and went to bed. In the morning, I'm thinking about all those dog videos on utube and the sad abandoned dogs in shelters and remember the mouse outside. Then later Graps tells his story and i remember the mouse outside still in the trap and go check. Thankfully it passed in the night. Am I getting soft or is it normal for one to care about another's life, even if it is a mouse?
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

Re: Do mice count?

#2 Post by Graps »

:lol: :? :roll:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

"Do mice count?"

Yes, but only to ten.

JK. Yes, funny you mention this. I have a persistent problem in my garage with mice. I firmly believe there is a nest somewhere. I keep no fewer than 4 traps set out there at all times, and every couple weeks I'll nail one. Lately I've noticed some of the baits gone, and in several cases the traps are moved as if the mouse dragged it several feet then wiggled out.
But last week was a doozy. I ran out to the garage late in the evening to grab a tool from my roll around and noticed a dead mouse in one of the traps. Since I was preoccupied and it was late, I made a mental note to go out the following day after work to dispose of it. When I did so, surprise, surprise! Both mouse and trap had vanished. I looked everywhere in the vicinity, including looking with my nose, which can usually find an expired squeaker quicker than my eyes...nothing. Zip, nada nil. And to tell you the truth, I actually felt like cheering for the little bugger!
I really don't like setting traps but there is really little alternative other than to let them take over. But animals feel pain, alarm, and fear same as humans so what you relate makes perfect sense to me.
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

#4 Post by Greg Felty »

I like mice as long as they stay outside but when they come inside they got's to go. ;)
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

Friend, I carry BUGS outside as often as I can, provided they aren't harmful ones. I dont see the harm in letting those creatures go if I can. I dont have any concerns over killing mice in the living quarters because of the unsanitary and disease conditions they bring and the fires and damage that cause by chewing electrical wiring. However, I dont see letting a mouse, or even a grasshopper suffer needlessly. Putting a grasshopper or worm on a hook has reason,... to provide my family and I a delicious and healthy fish meal, but I won't kill them for no reason at all. If they eat my garden or flowers they are dead...lol. Its the senseless killing or allowing unmercyful suffering is what strikes an off note with me. If an animal needs killed for a certain purpose or reason, make it as quick and as clean as possible....even bugs. Pulling legs and wings off flys and letting them die slowly is hideous even if it's just a poop eating fly. Smash the sucker in an instant and make it quick if you need to. I cant tell you how many turtles and snakes I've moved off the roadways. Does that make me squemish, a tree hugger, or weak in some way? I think not. I have a strong conviction that God would have me to do so and help where I can. I also believe he has given us the sense and the power to kill mercifully as we see a need to. Just my humble thoughts on it. So to answer your question, yes mice matter....but they do need killed if they pose a threat to us or our families. I hear they aren't bad eating....lol
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Greg Felty

#6 Post by Greg Felty »

Screenshot 2018-07-22 at 3.22.49 PM - Edited (1).png
Screenshot 2018-07-22 at 3.22.49 PM - Edited (1).png (214.27 KiB) Viewed 45 times
I hear they aren't bad eating....lol
Micearoni. :lol: :lol:
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

I'm starting to worry about you Greg.... :?
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:32 pm I'm starting to worry about you Greg.... :?
I think we done corrupted Ol' Greg some time ago. Once you hang around us miscreants for a couple weeks, well... :o
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#9 Post by Grizzly »

Wow Greg, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. That was good.

I stopped to help a turtle across the road once. I handed it to my wife, while I moved the car to the other side of the road. It peed on her.

RUH ROH!
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Campfire”