Do you carry while bow hunting?

Come on in and sit a spell. There's a seat for you around the campfire.
Forum rules
Please keep hunting posts to Traditional Bow Hunting. No canned or high fence hunts or stories allowed. Please be respectful of fellow members and helpful to those with questions. Treat others like you like to be treated. There is a Japanese word that I try and model my life after.
GAMAN: patience..dignity..restraint.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Do you carry while bow hunting?

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

When I carry (not often) I usually use my Colt Gov't .380 unless I'm in the north woods (bear country) where I choose the Super Blackhawk in .44 mag and some hefty handloads.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#17 Post by Shadowhntr »

I carry a Sig P238 in .380 and a Sig P938 in 9mm because I want small, accurate, excellent sights, auto loader, and sweet handling with an awesome trigger...single actions similar to 1911 style only tiny. Yes...I carry cocked and locked without worry. It's amazing with a 3" or less barrel how often we (my son also carrys a p938) can hit a 9mm casing rim end shoved into a hole in the cardboard at pushing 20 yards.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#18 Post by stumper »

I have carried the LCR for years and can truly say it’s a great piece. I used to carry the 38 spl version which is half polymer and half aluminum. Now I carry the .357 version that is half polymer and half steel. At various points I have carried s and w j frames but unless they have the performance center tune or a trigger job they have a terrible trigger pull. The lcr is cheaper for the .357 or 22 and has the best revolver trigger out the box.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Grizzly

#19 Post by Grizzly »

I would suggest that anyone who buys a new handgun and most especially a new revolver, order it from Davidson's an pay slightly more. If there is "anything" about that gun you have a problem with when it arrives, and for a certain amount of time (it was almost 2 weeks for me before I noticed a problem), you (or the shop you ordered through) can return it for either another one or a refund. You are not required to go through mfg warranty. Davidson takes care of it. This is critical today with all the revolver barrels that are not straight coming out of the factory.

Luckily, I ordered through Davidson, because they had what I wanted. It was a performance center s&w 642 cut for full moon clips. I noticed the barrel wasn't tightened so that the front sight lined up perfectly with the frame and the rear notch. It was sent back for another. That one had the same problem along with a trigger that was very slow and hesitant to reset - from the Smith and Wesson Performance Center???. Instead of trying 3x, I took a refund and wound up with a Taurus that also had an off center sight :( Taurus will fix it, but you have to pay shipping and fees again. I've been looking around for someone to just tweek the barrel a bit.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Grizzly

#20 Post by Grizzly »

Flemish Dave wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:41 am I have carried the LCR for years and can truly say it’s a great piece. I used to carry the 38 spl version which is half polymer and half aluminum. Now I carry the .357 version that is half polymer and half steel. At various points I have carried s and w j frames but unless they have the performance center tune or a trigger job they have a terrible trigger pull. The lcr is cheaper for the .357 or 22 and has the best revolver trigger out the box.
Did you go hammerless? I think I have a fetish for hammers, even though I can shoot double action. My Ruger 4 5/8" sa Blackhawk .45 Colt has the super blackhawk large hammer. My series 70 1911 has both a bobbed and an early wide spur hammer fitted too it. If I could afford a used Colt Detective Special, I would want a Diamondback hammer installed. I think the first time I picked up a Python, I was infected with this hammer thing. My first shotgun, a single shot 20 ga Winchester model 37 had a hammer. I was really saddened years ago when I had to pay the rent instead of buying a members cherry mid 1950's Winchester model 1897 pump, "that had an exposed hammer". The 1911 that I would check out of the supply room for convoy, had a wide spur hammer. :oops:
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#21 Post by stumper »

Yes, I carry a hammerless, for duty use drawing from a cargo pocket this seems to work nicely. They have it in hammer also. I also have a 7-inch Blackhawk in 45 colt which I love dearly. I am a revolver guy through and through.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Jamesh76

#22 Post by Jamesh76 »

I typically carry a Little Taurus 709 slim 9mm in the woods. Sw bodyguard 380 in town. Chezney has a pt111 I believe. Use to carry glocks as they are issued at my department and all we could carry a back up or off duty. Now there are no restrictions. Glock are heavy.... but I have been looking at their 10mm, or a model size sw 44 mag revolver. I sure like the Taurus and SW pistols fo my use.

White Falcon

#23 Post by White Falcon »

I carry when I hunt my bottom land for hogs. Could be one of these, .22 mag., .45, .44 mag.
Attachments
DSCN6805.JPG
DSCN6805.JPG (57.19 KiB) Viewed 100 times

Shadowhntr

#24 Post by Shadowhntr »

Jamesh76 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:12 pm I typically carry a Little Taurus 709 slim 9mm in the woods. Sw bodyguard 380 in town. Chezney has a pt111 I believe. Use to carry glocks as they are issued at my department and all we could carry a back up or off duty. Now there are no restrictions. Glock are heavy.... but I have been looking at their 10mm, or a model size sw 44 mag revolver. I sure like the Taurus and SW pistols fo my use.
I've not handled the slim line but I love noth the body guard and the Shield.. Sweet shooters! The PT111 are an awesome gun too, I've al.ost bought one a dozen different times. Really like that lil gun. For the money it's hard to beat!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#25 Post by Longtrad »

Dave, are you running 357 or 38s out of that rig? the LCR is one of them at the top of my list but i am torn between the 357 and the 9 mil

I am also really considering a shield or the walther equivalent

i currently use a cz 75 sp 01 that i really like but I am looking for something lighter and smaller.

Return to “Campfire”